sixteen || "Your Friends, Media First"

➳♥

➳♥

Summer's POV

"You ready?" Devon slammed the trunk of my car shut sighing a breath of relief. "Ready as I'll ever be." Jess strutted over to me, tapping on my shoulder. When I turned around to face her, her cheeks were stained red, and tears were rolling down her eyes. "Always such a drama queen." I enclosed her in a hug and wave at Adam, whose stood behind her shaking his head. "Come on Jess, we gotta go to storage quick so we can make your flight." Jess released me from her grip and smiled, eyes pooling with another set of tears.

"I'll see you soon okay? I promise!"

She waved goodbye to Devon and got in Adam's truck, probably full-on wailing now. "Wish me luck." Adam rolled his eyes and patted the hip of his truck before he hopped in, starting his engine. He and Jess would be spending the Summer together, since he agreed to come to Florida with her this year.

"You following me to my house?" I had the unfortunate pleasure of driving myself back home today and I was not looking forward to it. "Yeah, let's go. Traffic is probably picking up right now." Devon pecked me on the cheek and inspected his jeep before jumping in it, revving the engine.

I got in my car, and buckled my seat belt, already dreading the ride ahead of me. "Let's get this over with." I adjusted my mirrors and pressed the push to start button on my dashboard. The air conditioner immediately turned on, giving me a taste of crisp cool air. It was disgustingly humid outside so the feeling was very refreshing.

I pulled out of the lot, and Devon followed behind me flashing his lights every so often. I turned on my radio wanting to distract myself from the bustle of the street. I hated the drive to and from school and I regretted choosing a college so far away from home every year.

I took one final look at the campus slowly disappearing from my sight.

Two more semesters to go.

...

When we neared our home town, Devon called me to tell me he'd be going in the direction of his house from this point on. I was comfortable enough without his supervision, so I gave him the go head and said my goodbyes.

I had called my parents to tell them I would be home soon, but I wasn't expecting them to be waiting on the porch for me to arrive. As soon as my car pulled up Simon began barking, trying to run over to my car but my dad held his leash back. I waved from the window and stepped out my car, popping the trunk before fully getting out.

"Simon! Come here boy!" He whined and my dad freed him from his collar and patted him on the leg. Simon darted over to me, jumping and running around. "You're my favorite part about coming home, you know that?" I kissed his head and turned my attention to the trunk of my car, where my dad was already taking stuff out.