thirteen || "You Never Gave Me An Answer Summer."

➳♥

Summer's POV

"I feel like shit." Jess whined as she struggled to keep her eyes open. "At least you don't have a class in thirty minutes." I was seriously thinking about skipping it.

What would make someone throw a party on a Monday night and why did so many people go? Jess struggled to laugh as she rolled over in her bed. "Can you thank Devon for me when you see him again?" She was equal parts grateful and embarrassed when I told her how much shit we put Dev through last night.

"I'll let him know, and I'll bring you back some soup after my class okay?" She gave a thumbs up in response and I turned off her light and shut her door.

I had decided to drive to the main campus today, not being able to stomach a walk. I looked in the mirror in the hallway before I grabbed my keys to leave. I looked like shit, and I felt like shit, But I didn't care enough to dwell on it.

It started raining as soon as I made it to the parking lot and I silently cursed myself for not checking the weather earlier. I had to make a run from my car to the lecture hall and I was fully drenched when I arrived to the building.

"Just my fucking luck." I sighed looking at myself in the bathroom mirror. I hated the idea of sitting in the class for two hours and forty minutes soaking wet, but I didn't have any other options.

Hopefully the rain slows down by the time my class is over.

...

"Jess apologizes and says she's eternally grateful for you bringing her home last night." I said to Devon as I browsed the clothes in my bookstore. Luckily for me the rain had died down when my class was over but I still felt gross, so I had Devon come with me to the bookstore so I could change into new clothes.

"Tell her don't worry about it. You should get this." He pointed to a hoodie that was two sizes too big, but I liked feeling small in clothes. "Okay, I think I'm gonna get these sweats to match." I took both articles of clothing and walked towards the cash register.

Entering the bookstore was a blonde with her hair tied into a top knot, dressed in purple scrubs. She spotted me and Devon and smiled walking over in our direction.

"Hi Devon! My friends told me what you did for me last night and I just wanted to say thank you. You didn't have to do that but I really appreciate it." She didn't even give me a second look. Devon assured her that it was okay and tried to walk away but she continued.

"How about I treat you to lunch or something as a thank you?" She was practically drooling and I was getting annoyed. I didn't care that she was so obviously flirting with him in front of my face, but she didn't even acknowledge that I was standing here.

"Claire this is Summer, I think you skipped over that introduction." Devon put his arm around me and her face dropped. "Oh! Sorry, I didn't even see you there. I'm Claire, It's nice to meet you Summer." She smiled at me but I could tell it wasn't genuine. "Likewise." I beamed, wishing she would just walk away.

"So lunch?" Her attention was now back on Devon.

Damn this girl was persistent.

Devon paused before answering, I could tell he was getting annoyed but I knew he wouldn't of tried to embarrass her in a store full of people. "I'm having lunch with Summer, but I'll see you in class or something." He began walking away before she could even answer. Once he was gone her eyes shifted to me and I smiled brightly walking past her.

"That'll be fifty dollars." The clerk said and I swiped my card waiting for the approval. She handed me a bag and a receipt and I thanked her and walked out of the store. "I'm just going to go to the bathroom and change really quick." Devon nodded his head and sat in a near by chair.