Twenty || "I'm Sorry."

➳♥

Devon's POV

"What can I help you with son?"

"Um, I'm here to pick up my father, Tony Washington. He just posted bail."

The police officer looked me over before grabbing a pair of keys. "Hang out right here, I'm going to go get him." She walked from behind her desk to a door that she knocked on twice before a buzzer is sounded, letting her through. I sat down on a chair by the door, resting my head on the wall. My eyes began to close and I considered resting them for awhile until the metal door opened again.

My father slugged through the door, rubbing his wrists. "Are you sober?" I asked standing up. "He better be. Come over here, I need you to take some paperwork." I followed the police officer back to her desk, whilst my father sat in the chair I had just gotten up from.

"Here, his release papers." She handed them to me, her face sympathetic.

Or maybe it was pity.

"You look pretty beat, are you alright getting home?"

A part of me wanted to leave him here, additionally leaving my problems here with him. "Yeah, I'll be okay. You have a good night." I grabbed the papers and walked out the door, nodding for my father to follow me. The air outside caused me to shiver, but not because it was cold. No, it was warm, probably around seventy-five degrees outside. But it was quiet, desolate.

Lonely.

"I'm sorry son." I could count on my fingers how many times he'd apologized to me, none of them being sincere. "Don't apologize to me, apologize to Rachel and her family when you get home." I didn't want empty apologizes. I was tired, I was embarrassed. All I wanted was to go home and sleep, try to pretend like tonight never happened.

"Actually, I was planning on staying in a hotel tonight, until everything cools down."

The nearest hotel was about thirty minutes from the police station, a drive I didn't want to commit to. "It's three in the morning, and I'm falling asleep as it is. You can stay at mom's house, but don't make me regret it." He didn't say anything, instead he turned his head to the window watching the black sky as we drove down the barren street.

The house was dark, and quiet when we arrived. Not wanting to wake anyone up, I had him kick off his shoes and leave them by the front door. I flipped on the kitchen light to find my mother sitting on a stool in front of the island, a cup of tea in her hand.

"Mom? What are you doing awake?" My father stood beside me, white as a ghost. "There's blankets in the closet, I want him out before Olivia wakes up do you understand?" She grabbed her cup and began walking to the stairs.

"Sandra wait! Can we talk?"

"What is there to talk about Tony? The fact that you had our son pick you up from jail? Or the fact that you got so drunk at a restaurant might I add, that you had to be removed from the premises huh? Which one of those topics did you want to discuss?"

She was livid and I didn't blame her, I would have been just as angry if I wasn't so fucking tired.

"Devon, can I talk to your mother please? Alone."

I threw my hands up, waving my white flag.

"Try not to be too loud."

I ran up the stairs and into my room, throwing my clothes off as soon as the door closes behind me. Summer lifted her head up from my bed, watching me walk over to her. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." She had decided to spend the night at my house and would leave early in the morning so she'd be ready in time for work.