thirty-five || "Just For A Moment"

➳♥

Seven Months Later...

"Summer, Nolan."

A few people in the crowd erupted into cheers even though it was against the rules. I smiled as I watched my family, The Whites, and Devon's family all stand up cheering me on as I walked across the stage, shaking the hands of the faculty before they handed me my diploma. I paused, finding Devon's eyes in the crowd, and blushed immediately. His smile grew bigger once he saw I spotted him staring. I blew a kiss and continued down the stage finding my seat in the row once again.

It wasn't the real thing but I still smiled down at the scroll in my hand. I had worked so hard these past four years I couldn't believe everything I'd ever wanted was finally in my hands, it felt unreal. I put my blood, sweat, and tears into this degree and I was forever going to be proud of what I had accomplished for myself.

I watched rows of people accept their diplomas, clapping whenever one of my friends was called up to accept theirs. After waiting for what felt like hours, Devon's row was finally called and the crowd roared in cheers. He was the only player that got drafted and signed to a team from the school after all. The school insisted he speak a few inspiring words to get the now former students excited for their futures. Of course, he accepted and delivered a tear-jerking, thought-provoking speech that had everyone on their feet clapping when he was finished.

I wasn't surprised in the slightest, I had heard him practice it so many times we could both recite it in our sleep. I looked behind me finding the place his family was sitting, his mom was crying and Liv who was now fourteen was rolling her eyes typing away on her phone. His father sat smiling wiping the occasional tear from his eye. He was healthy and happy after getting out of rehab and was a completely different person because of it. He was a better father to all of his kids and it was really nice to see him doing better as a person.

Devon sat back in his seat but not before finding me in the crowd and winking, making a girl sitting next to me whisper 'awww' as she looked between Devon and I. We got those kinds of reactions a lot, but it really started to pick up when people caught wind of Devon joining the league. I hated the fake flattery but Devon didn't mind it at all, I was still working on trying to be as unbothered as him and his new best friend Tyler.

The rest of the names were called and a few more people delivered speeches before we were finally free to join our families. My mother nearly knocked me down when she threw her arms around me, kissing me on the cheek.

"I'm so proud of you Summer!" She cried into my ear. I pried her arms from around me not being able to breathe and took a deep breath laughing, "you squeeze me any harder and there won't be anyone to be proud of." Sandra overheard and laughed, walking over to congratulate me. "Congratulations my love, you deserve it." She kissed me on the cheek and gave me one last hug before starting a conversation with my parents.

"This is from my mom and I," Liv handed me a balloon and a bouquet of roses before giving me a hug. "Thank you Liv, also let me know when you wanted to go get your nails done I should be free this weekend." She smiled and shook her head before returning her attention to her phone.

"Ms. Nolan, congrats on the diploma." I rolled my eyes and turned to Tyler who was walking over to me, his niece laughing in his arms. He passed her over to me and I gave her a soft squeeze, kissing her on the cheek before giving her back to Rachel. "She was trying to call out your name, I couldn't keep her quiet." Kristine 
shook her head laughing and tried to wiggle her way out of her mother's arm to her grandparents. "And she also won't sit still." I laughed and watched as Tony scooped her up before tossing her to James and Laura who happily took her off his hands. He ran up to me and gave me a stern hug, lightly patting me on the back.