thirty-three || "Please, No Sentiments."

➳♥

September 2nd, 8:30 am

"Summer? Summer wake up!" Jess shook me violently almost knocking me off of my bed. "No, it's too early leave me alone." I was still reeling from the past couple of days, exhaustion was the only thing I felt and I just wanted to sleep. "Summer get the fuck up, this is important!" She shook me again and I threw a pillow at her face in retaliation. She shoved me one more time and cursed under her breath before leaving my room, but not before slamming my door behind her. I groaned and found a new comfortable position to lie in letting sleep wash back over me.

Suddenly, my door creaked open again and the left side of my bed caved in letting me know that someone was now sitting there. I felt a hand caress the back of my head tenderly, the touch felt so familiar it brought me peace for a split second, and then it just left me annoyed. "I told you to leave me alone Jess, wake me up at two or something I have to meet Sandra then anyway." She didn't respond. Instead, she ran a hand across my covered shoulder and sighed.

Growing impatient I quickly flipped around and yelled, "I told you I want to be left alone! Why can't you just let me sleep?!" I immediately bit my tongue as I came face to face with those beautiful honey brown eyes that I'd grown to love so much. He looked tired, his eyes were dark and puffy and his hair was a mess but that was nothing new. He smiled at me, the same smile that set my skin on fire every time he flashed it at me. His scent filled my nostrils, the same scent that I desperately tried to hold onto as I buried my head into his pillow for nights on end.

He was here, Devon was really here but seeing him wasn't enough for me to believe it. I had mistaken strangers for him before, thought I saw him at the end of hallways. I didn't want to get my hopes up only to have them be crushed by my mind playing endless tricks on me.

"Quite a warm welcome, your parents were happier to see me." He chuckled to himself and settled into my pillow, still gazing up at me. To confirm I was really seeing him, I slowly raised a hand to his cheek and grazed the smooth skin with my finger. He quickly grabbed it and pressed a kiss to my hand smiling, "I'm here Summer, It's me." Overwhelmed, I rolled over on top of him crying inaudibly. His arms fit into my waist perfectly as he wrapped them around me trying to comfort me.

"I missed you so much Summer."

I could hear his voice hitch as his grip tightened around me. I buried my hands in his freshly washed hair, refamiliarizing myself with him. I could stay like this forever if he'd let me. Letting him go was the last thing I ever wanted to do again.

"How? I wasn't expecting you to be out until at least another three days!"

He shook his head and left a soft kiss on my lips, "shhh" he hushed. "I don't want to talk about any of that right now."

I agreed and sunk my head back into his chest, making sure to take in his scent one more time.

I was just happy he was home.

    September 2nd, 4:30 pm

Devon spent the morning with me, wrapped up in my covers. I was still having a hard time processing his return and he spent the whole morning leaving kisses all over my face assuring me he was real.

Losing Devon for that short period of time really put things into perspective for me. I took advantage of his presence while he was here and I didn't appreciate the future he wanted with me. I had found someone who loved me, flaws included and even though I could see a life with him I doubted it because of my past with Chris.