twenty-four || "Who Am I To Keep You Waiting?"

➳♥

Summer's POV

July came in bringing an unbearable heat with it. It was getting to that point of Summer where the air conditioner was always on the highest, coldest setting and you stayed indoors; only leaving when night fell. Devon stayed on with his job while he began camp for football which meant he was busier than usual so I didn't spend as much time with him as I would have liked. James went even further with his promise and attended a few of Devon's practices with some of his friends from the league. They saw potential in him, even hinting at a contract depending on his performance this season. He tried not to get his hopes up fearing disappointment, but I knew he was elated and I was happy for him.

My work at Media First continued to surprise me as we further worked on the development for the tablet which would soon be called 'YouCreate'. Tyler helped me every step of the way along with Caleb who was flourishing in the company. Once YouCreate was in its final stages of development, the launch party was upon us and I dreaded the speech I was required to give.

"Why are you stressed? You've prepared for this. You can handle anything you put your mind to, and I'll be in the crowd cheering you on."

Devon had been my backbone during the entire event and I appreciated him taking the time to be there for me.

"I would just like to thank everyone here at Media First for giving me the opportunity to share my creativity and add to the current greatness that is this company. Although my time here is temporary, passion and drive are forever and with YouCreate designers around the world can keep their passion for creating alive right in their lap."

I took a deep breath finding Devon's eyes in the crowd watching me in encouragement.

"To close, thank you to everyone who has supported me and given life to YouCreate, and cheers to the continued success of Media First. Thank you."

The crowd erupted in cheers as I exited the stage, nameless faces congratulating me on my achievements as I navigated my way through the crowd trying to find Devon.

"You were amazing up there Summer." My name dripped off his tongue in its usual fashion. "Do you want to get out of here?" My hand played with his tie as I looked up at him, a sly smile on my lips.

His eyebrow raised, considering my offer.

"That's not even a question. But don't you have to close out here or something?" I shook my head. "They don't need me here." Leveling myself with him, I placed a kiss on his lips.

"Well then, who am I to keep you waiting?"

He grabbed my hand navigating me through the sea of people into the parking lot. The night air was sticky and warm, making me regret wearing a dress that fit so snug. Devon on the other hand had worn something a bit looser, maintaining a causal but appropriate attire for the event.

"Summer!"

I was just about to make my escape when I heard my name being called a few feet away. I glanced over my shoulder finding Tyler running to the car trying to catch his breath.

"Is something wrong?"

He took a second before he spoke, "you're leaving already? There were a few people I wanted you to speak to." He looked over at Devon who nodded his head at him before getting in the car. He returned his stare to me and smiled softly. "Never mind, enjoy your night Summer." He began walking off, the sound of his footsteps echoing throughout the lot. "Are you sure?" I started to feel bad for abandoning my responsibilities for the night. Without turning around, he threw his hand up shooing me. I smiled before getting in the car, giving Devon a peck on the cheek before buckling my seatbelt. "Everything good?" He questioned before backing out of his parking space.