Thirty-four || "Fine, We'll Wait Until Graduation."

➳♥

Summer's POV

Uneventful is what I would call the weeks that followed Devon's return but in the best way possible. Devon had a few sit-downs with his lawyer, basically briefing him on what was going to happen with his record. Thanks to Tyler, it was wiped and he was able to keep his squeaky clean record vowing to never get in trouble again. James had already ensured that his progress in football would remain unchanged and only a select few of the coaches knew the real reason Devon was not present for the weeks he was in jail.

Once Devon was fully briefed on all of the events that had to occur for him to come home he was in complete shock. He never expected Tyler and his family to care about what happened to him as much as they did and grew closer to them because of it. James and Laura saw him and Liv as kids of their own and Tyler finally stopped denying he and Devon were friends.

They even hung out a few times just for fun.

The scandal with Chris and his father ran through the news, everyone in town was talking about the police officer who ignored his duties to protect his son. Some people found it admirable, they thought that anyone should be willing to risk their livelihood to protect one of their own because that's what families do. Others were disgusted by the actions of both of them and wished them nothing but a lengthy sentence. I myself decided not to follow with the trial, I had enough of hearing about Chris and was just satisfied he was finally getting the karma that patiently waited for him.

I finished up my internship at Media First, finally closing that door behind me. James was highly impressed with Caleb's performance and he earned himself a permanent spot at the company, though it didn't surprise me. Caleb was one of the most determined people I'd ever met and he had his sights set on Media First, nothing was going to stand in his way.

The company threw him a little welcome party where I finally got to meet his girlfriend Dana and he got to meet Devon. The two hit it off fairly well and spent the whole night talking to each other while Dana and I got the chance to get to know one another. She informed me that Caleb was always the center of attention wherever they went, people seemed to gravitate towards his energetic personality stealing him from her entirely. Devon was the exact same way, people loved him and naturally wanted to be around him.

No wonder he and Caleb were able to get along so well.

Caleb had become a close friend and confidant of mine while working together and I was sad to say goodbye to him, but we promised to keep in touch. Devon also exchanged numbers with Caleb and we all agreed that whenever we found the time, we would hang out once again.

Tyler begged me to stay at the company, bragging about how much more fulfilling it would be than to work with children all day but I again politely declined. A much as I enjoyed my time at Media First it didn't sway my career goals in the way everyone else thought it would. I still wanted to teach and this internship did not change that. Tyler backed down eventually and accepted defeat but I promised I would still keep in touch. I was sure the only reason he wanted me to stay on board was that he was going to miss having a friend around but he would never say it aloud.

Tyler was someone who didn't like to be vulnerable and often hid his true feelings behind sarcasm, but that didn't mean he was good it at.

After saying goodbye to Media First and with school starting late September, I spent the rest of my vacation relaxing. Devon on the other hand had a lot of catching up to do. He had football practice and meetings with James and potential scouts. He was also working overtime to make up for all the shifts he had missed out on. When he wasn't talking football or at the beach, he and Olivia were spending time with Kristine over at Rachel's house. He was definitely spreading himself thin, but I think he enjoyed being on the go so much. He spent weeks cooped up alone with his own thoughts, keeping busy must have been a dream to him.