seventeen || "Front Or Back?"

➳♥

Summer's POV

I didn't think I would ever be able to tell someone else I loved them. After me and Chris broke up I swore off romance, never wanting to give myself to someone else like that again. But Devon made it so easy. Even though he's never had good examples of love, never been in a position to give it, he showed me that it could be beautiful and kind.

He treated me the way I deserved to be treated and he never faltered.

"Are you even listening? Do you want cookies n cream or cake batter?" Devon looked like a housewife pushing his shopping cart, scanning ice cream flavors. "Both?" I joked, looking through the cart. "What else do you need to get for your house?" We had been at the store for about an hour and the cart was nearing a spill. "I just need to grab some bread and then we can go." He dropped both cartons of ice cream in the cart and began rolling down the aisle.

"Dev! I knew it was you!"

"What's up Ry." Devon nodded his head as the man neared our shopping cart.

"Summer, damn you look good." Ryan put his arms out for a hug and Devon cleared his throat. "Are you still dating Cassie? I'm sure she would love to hear you say that." Ryan retracted his hands and let out a hearty laugh. "I can't compliment people now? What do you care anyway?"

"It's been three years and you haven't changed a bit. That isn't a good thing." Ryan laughs a little harder now, resting his hand on the cart. "Come on Summer, I was just playing around. Don't think less of me okay?" Ryan winked at me and glanced over at Devon.

He had always been a flirt, and I assumed that's why him and Devon were friends. The only difference between the two of them was that Ryan strung girls along while Devon made it clear what his intentions were. Ryan had a wholesome look to him, that made it hard to believe how vulgar he really was. He always managed to surprise me every time he spoke.

"What are you doing here anyway?" Devon changed the subject, resting his arms against the bar of the cart. "I had to pick up something for Cass." His eyes darted between me and Devon. "What are you two doing here." Amusement dripped off his tongue, but he was the only one enjoying this conversation.

"What does it look like?" I looked at the cart and back at Ryan and his lips curled into a smirk in response. "I don't remember you being so outspoken Summer, but I like it." He lifted his hand and placed both of them in his pockets. Ignoring his obvious flirting I placed my hand on the cart and started pushing it forward. "We better get going. You don't want to keep Cass waiting right?" He huffed and watched as we walked away.

"I can't believe you were friends with him." I looked back to see Ryan still standing there, a smile plastered on his face.

"Why'd you think I stopped?"

...

"Leave the ice cream here, I'll get it when we come back." I told Devon as he packed the fridge. "Where are you two off to now?" Devon's mom had walked into the kitchen clutching a magazine in her hands. "I have to drop this car off at Rachel's." Devon stopped and looked back at his mother who was now glaring at him.

"I knew that wasn't Summer outside. You could have just told me you know, he's been doing that every night." She closed her magazine and pulled a joint out of her bathrobe sparking it up.

"Where is Olivia?"

His mother puffed smoke out of her mouth and coughed. "She went to soccer practice, relax." Devon shook his head and closed the fridge, resting his fists on the island. "You're going to send me to an early grave." He hung his head and tapped on the counter top.