twenty-three || "Forever?"

Summer's POV

Mr. White had me attend a number of board meetings regarding the design of Media First's new tablet. I was constantly surrounded by businessmen and women with serious faces and coffee-stained teeth. "Brilliant work Summer, this meeting is adjourned." Mr. White's voice rang out with confidence as everyone in the room scattered, talking amongst themselves.

"You're a natural." Tyler boasted. I had to dedicate a large portion of my confidence to him. He had guided me through meeting etiquette and prepped me so I wouldn't have moments of silence during my speaking.

"You should be heading home, I'll walk you out." Tyler checked his watch before leading me out the door. "You'll only have to be present for a few more meetings before you're free, of course, you'd have to attend the launch party once the tablet is released though." We walked to my desk where Caleb is stood waiting for me.

"Launch party? Sounds intimidating."

He laughed quietly and cleaned his glasses on his tie.

"You're welcome to bring a date if that would put you at ease."

"Really? Thanks."

Caleb walked over to us and Tyler takes that as his cue to leave. "Have a good night Mr. White," Caleb called out. Tyler turned around and smiled stiffly at him. "You as well Caleb, keep up the good work and that position is yours." Caleb beamed from the news and nodded his head in acknowledgment.

"I can't thank you enough for letting go of that PA position for me." Caleb continued to thank me even though I told him it wasn't necessary.

"I told you don't worry about it! You deserve it."

The elevator door opened and we complete our weekly routine of small talk in his car on the way to the train station.

"See you tomorrow morning, I'll bring bagels."

"See you tomorrow! And I'll text you my order."

Caleb waved before pulling off and I ran to the platform finding a seat to rest my feet before the train comes.

Devon's POV

For the entirety of my shift my mind was heavily focused on the events of this morning. I was satisfied by my father's revelations but I needed to hear Rachel's side to dead this once and for all. So, I decided I would stop by Rachel's house once I got off to talk to everyone and get the answers I needed.

I stopped home first to shower and change my clothes. Spending your days at the beach was nice but the sticky skin and the sand in every crevice wasn't something I cherished. The house was empty when I got home, I figured my mom and sister had went out so I brushed it off and ran upstairs to shower quickly.

When I pulled up to the White's house Tyler and his family were on their way in and I was relieved I came at the right time.

"Devon, what a pleasant surprise."

Tyler invited me in, seeming more cheerful than usual.

"Judging by that smile on your face I'd assume you heard the news?"

He cleared his throat, regaining his composure.

"I have, he sat us all down this morning. I have to say I didn't think he had it in him." He sat down on a nearby couch and invited me to join him.

"How are you handling it?" His question seemed genuine.

"I'm still a bit in shock. I was used to his behavior, I got used to his behavior while he drank. I guess this is just something else I have to get used to." I wanted to say more but I didn't want to bombard him with questions too soon.