𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘.

Lamoni K'lee Simons
Detroit Michigan

"Hello?" I answered the phone getting a call from the church.

"Hello Lamoni." I heard Mrs. Brooks say on the other end of the phone. "I'll get straight to the point Moni, Leon hit a couple kids today and all of their parents are not so happy they want me to give them your foster fathers number but I dont have it can you give it to me?"

When she said that my heart dropped.

"Wait mrs.Brooks maybe I could talk to them instead " I said lowly trying to move away from everyone in the hallway so they didn't hear my conversation. "Um...they said talking to an adult would make them feel more comfortable." She said after a pause.

I didn't say anything, I just started thinking of things to say to try and change their minds. "Lamoni?" Mrs.brooks said on the other end of the phone. "I'm looking thru my folder and I don't see- wait never mind I found it. I'll just give him a call have a nice day." She said hanging up the phone.

My hands started shaking as I jumped to take all of my books out of my locker and put them into my book bag. Slamming my locker shut I sped passed everybody in the hallways. "Moni!" I heard behind me. I looked back seeing Zalaya running up to me.

"Where you going you said you'd tryout for the cheerleading team with me today." She said finally catching up to me. "I can't I really don't have the time, I gotta go tho." I said speed walking out of the school. I began running down the sidewalk trying to get to the church to get Leon.

Running as fast as I could I finally got to the front doors. "Hey Mrs.Brooks, I just came to get him early. And see if the parents were still here." I said faking a smile looking around.
"Oh I already called Mr.Devin, he's on his way right now." She said smiling at me.

My chest tightened at the thought of what Devin might try and do to Leon. "Oh..we I'll just wait with Leon if that's alright-" I said just as the church doors swung open revealing Devin. "Oh Moni, what are you doing here." He said smiling at me.

I didn't say anything I just played cool walking over to Leon sitting next to him as Mrs.Brooks and Devin talked.

"Hey buba" I said to Leon still trying to catch my breath from the run. "Moni is Devin gonna whoop me?" He asked as tears fell from him eyes. I grabbed his hand trying to wipe his face off. "No I promise."

I held him as I watched Devin and Mrs.Brooks speak with the parents of the kids. After they spoke Devin walked over to me and Leon clearly faking a smile. "Everything's gonna be fine buddy. Now let's go to the car." He said to us.

I stood to my feet grabbing Leon's hand walking to Devins car. We both got in the backseat while Mrs.Brooks said her goodbyes to Devin as he walked out the church.

When Devin got into the car I felt the energy change but The whole drive home was silent nobody said anything.

Pulling up to the house I barely even let the car stop before opening the door picking Leon up walking to the front door. I hurried to unlock it going straight in and walking to my room. I sat Leon on the bed as I prepared for the worst.

Seconds later Devin busted into the room. By the look in his face I could tell he had already been drinking today. I pushed Leon behind me in the bed not taking my eyes off of Devin.