¹⁵, THE CASTLE'S BEEN SEIZED

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter fifteen; The Castle's Been Seized
" I tried to fight off four armed men with Sebastian's help and a single sword. Didn't quite go as planned. "

* Trigger Warning for SA; this is the episode in which the count seizes the castle-- there is no SA that happens, as they're stopped just before, but I will still mark the beginning and end of the scene that may be triggering with asterisks *

  "YOU'RE THE KING'S new mistress and you didn't think to tell me in person?"

  Kenna was quite shocked that the servants had actually allowed Elspeth Liens to barge into the King's chambers. Granted, the King and every able-bodied man had left, but it was still surprising.

  "Ellie!"

  "I thought we were friends," Elspeth pouted, sinking onto one of the floor cushions.

  "Don't blame me, you've been impossible to find," Kenna laughed, placing herself beside the girl, "What about you-- clearly, something has been going on but you haven't told me anything."

  Elspeth sighed, leaning back on her hands.

  "Francis is. . . concerned about Mary and Sebastian's friendship," The woman admitted, rolling her eyes as Kenna jumped quickly to anger, "Though, Sebastian assured me that's all it is, a friendship-- he was willing to outright ignore her if I so wished. Though he's quite cross with me now. . ."

  "Cross with you?"

  "I followed him into the Blood Wood last night."

  "Elspeth!"

  "He's to be my husband, Kenna," Elspeth sighed, "To me, that means I protect him as he protects me. I don't want to just be taken care of-- not that there's anything wrong with that. But, he knows me. He should've expected I wouldn't worry and wait for his return."

  "I suppose that's true," Kenna noted, her mind turning, "Now, I do want to know, even though she's not my favorite person in all of France. . . how has your meeting with Diane gone?"

  "She's terrifying," Elspeth admitted, making Kenna laugh, "I swear, that woman has no interest in me! I made friends of Catherine De Medici before her!"

  The girls fell into a fit of giggles, briefly allowing all their worries to leave the room they occupied. It had been far too long since they'd had a single moment like this, so long, it was doomed to be ruined.

  "Lady Kenna," A servant greeted, entering the room quickly, "The castle has been taken, we must take you somewhere safe quickly."

  "W--what?"

  "What do you mean it's been taken?"

  "The Count has infiltrated with guards-- we have no way of fighting."