²³, A TRIP TO PARIS

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter twenty-three; A Trip To Paris
" I am hoping for the same thing I did when I asked her to marry me. I have never stopped. "

  BEING A SINGLE woman once again was a strange feeling, especially since Elspeth Liens didn't quite feel 'single' the way she did before

  BEING A SINGLE woman once again was a strange feeling, especially since Elspeth Liens didn't quite feel 'single' the way she did before. After all, her heart still belonged to Sebastian, whether or not he or she deserved that.

  So, Elspeth was trying to find purpose. Things to busy her mind and hands.

  A portrait of Catherine was a welcome distraction that had taken up days already.

  News still reached her corner of the world, between Demetre and Kenna, Elspeth did not have to leave the art wing to know how life was going for the French Court.

  She had heard of Mary and Sebastian's friendship, of Catherine and her family's departure. She had heard of Catherine's attempt on Mary's life, and how Sebastian had saved her.

  Kenna could see Elspeth's heartache and tried all she could to remedy it. Food, music, stories; none of it helped until Kenna suggested an outing.

  "The only person who truly understands your position is Francis. Perhaps you should. . . go off and find him."

  Elspeth turned from the canvas, raising an eyebrow.

  "Not like that," Kenna laughed, "I mean unless that's what you're hoping for. God knows Catherine is."

  "I've no interest in trying both brothers," Elspeth sighed, looking back to the canvas, "Perhaps he would make good company. . . does anyone know where he's gone?"

  Kenna twisted her lips, leaning back in her chair.

  "I'm sure we could find out."

  "He may not even want to see me."

  "I wish your brothers were here," Kenna frowned, "They always had answers."

  "Yes, after teasing us endlessly," Elspeth laughed, brushing another stroke across the canvas, "I wrote Hans about my decision before I made it. I should get word soon."

  "Isn't Douglas in Paris?"

  Elspeth turned fully, setting her brush down.

  "As a single woman, bound by no duties. . ." Kenna said slowly, "Perhaps a trip is in order."

  Elspeth smiled lightly, crossing her arms.

  "I suppose it is."

  Elspeth Liens was preparing for a journey with Demetre's assistance. Kenna had helped with a bag, but Demetre insisted he be the one to prepare her carriage.