⁴⁵, A CLEARING IN THE WOODS

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter forty-five; A Clearing In The Woods
" Some say the Monster of France was stronger than the Grim-- than death itself. . . I say Demetre Langlois is the best Hunter in the world. "

  IN THE TWO months that followed Catherine's abduction and safe return, Elspeth Liens was quite busy

With Demetre Langlois still off battling for a mad king's conquer of Calais and the still fresh revelation that Elspeth herself had come to love him, the only way to live was a routine. And a packed one, at that.

Elspeth woke up just as the sun rose every morning. She was greeted by Alex Dupont and Hugo Laurent who updated her with any pertinent information that had transpired during the night. Breakfast was shared with her guards as her friends still slumbered in the early hours of the morning, and then Elspeth painted.

  She painted until the rest of the castle woke with her, and then Elspeth took care of any House duties needed. Now, Elspeth had assumed Demetre's intentions were not to shoulder her with the responsibilities of bookkeeping and simple chores, but she had taken them up anyway. Sorting out his office, checking over numbers, and ensuring anyone employed by the House was well cared for.

Then she would hunt.

It had begun as simple trips with Alex, without much fanfare at all, but it quickly evolved into something much, much more.

Because before very long Elspeth Liens wasn't hunting animals in the wild; she was hunting the Darkness in the Blood Wood.

She knew Demetre would have his own opinions about her choice to join Sebastian's hunt, but a part of Elspeth was doing it for Demetre.

As if killing whatever lurked out there could put a part of him to rest, as if she could make the castle safe for his return.

Not to mention it kept her mind busy.

Elspeth had run into Sebastian one morning and offered to join his hunt offhandedly. He reminded her what he was hunting differed from her prey, but this did little to deter her. After Elspeth got Kenna's blessing (which truthfully was more of a plea for Elspeth and Sebastian to be friends again), it became routine.

She would call in earlier than Sebastian every day, returning to the castle just in time to share dinner with Greer and Kenna; Lola was off on her wedding tour and Mary had found herself quite busy in days passing.

But Elspeth didn't seem to mind.

And once a week Elspeth took a day off to spend with Catherine.

They would have tea or walk or read or simply spend time in one another's company.

"I had no doubt you would keep busy, but it's still surprising."