²⁷, THE PLAN TO RETURN

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter twenty-seven; The Plan to Return
" You are the best thing Scotland has given me. "

  IT WAS A long conversation with Hans Liens

  Demetre had left the couple to face it alone, leaving Sebastian nervous beyond himself.

  But after a few pointed words from Elspeth, Hans changed his tune.

  "It won't be safe for you to remain here," Hans said quietly, "After reaching for the throne, you will have many enemies. Enemies your wife will inherit."

  Sebastian frowned as Elspeth grabbed his hand tightly.

  "Speak with your father, he may have wishes for where to send you," Hans sighed, "If I have any say, the two of you will return with me to Scotland and be wed within the month. . . Speaking politically, a broken-off engagement says poor things for my family. Restoring it quickly and flooding any news with tales of a lavish wedding will have many in Scotland forget this lapse."

  "Hans. . ."

  "Ellie, you have father's blessing to marry whomever you wish," Hans said quietly, "He never wanted to force you into anything. Luckily, you have found a man you love. If it was father's say, he'd let you run wild with him until you wanted to marry. While I do not want to force anyone's hand, I have to press the matter this once. If the two of you are in love, why wait to marry? It would wash out the scandal of your broken-off engagement, and solidify the relationship you two have already created."

  Elspeth looked to Sebastian with worry creasing her brow. But Sebastian only smiled lightly, grabbing onto her hands like they were his lifeline.

  "I would marry you today, Elspeth."

  "Truly?"

  "Today, tomorrow, yesterday-- whenever you wish."

  "As lovely as the sentiment is, we need time to plan a wedding fit for the daughter of a duke," Hans said, clearing his throat, "A dress for Elspeth, a venue, invitations must be sent out, food, music. . . tomorrow will not work."

  Elspeth laughed, clearly easing her brother's worries.

  "If Henry allows it I would love nothing more than to return to Scotland and marry Sebastian as soon as you have time to plan the event," Elspeth said with a small smile.

  "Then it's settled," Hans smiled, "I'll send word to father; you speak with your own, Sebastian."

  He nodded.

  "And for God's sake, do not find yourself in trouble again."

  Hans looked between the couple for a long moment, before departing to pen a letter to inform his parents of Elspeth's future.