⁶⁵, HALF OF ME

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter sixty-five; Half Of Me
If you believe I am a monster, my words will not sway you. "

  IT WAS A short while before a servant of the household came to retrieve Elspeth and Demetre from the orchard

  The woman was fussing with Elspeth's dress, attempting feebly to wipe the dirt splotches out of her skirt, but Elspeth was being less than helpful in the process, determined only to see her parents.

  "Elspeth."

  Her frustrations only rose as they approached her awaiting brothers.

  "Fraser," Elspeth mocked, waving off the servant finally.

  "We are to greet mother and father. You should not have stained such a perfectly fine gown--"

  "Mother birthed me, I hardly think she'll care about a dirt spot."

  "How un-ladylike to speak of such things before your suitor."

  "As if Demetre is unaware of how children come to be," Elspeth argued, crossing her arms defiantly.

  Fraser's lips straightened into a thin line, his calculating eyes turning cold. And for once, Douglas seemed on his side, his own glare forming as his jaw tightened.

  Only then did Elspeth realize perhaps she had given the wrong impression.

  "That is not what I meant," She spat, flustered, "I only mean to say--"

  "I would hope someone who has been raised as a Lord understands he cannot take freedoms with an unwed Lady."

  "Fraser!" Elspeth all but shrieked.

  But Demetre's gentle hand came to rest on her shoulder, his looming presence enveloping her whole, calming her anger and embarrassment.

  "I think too highly of Elspeth to imagine anything improper. I would hope her brothers hold her in the same high regard."

  Fraser's lip curled up.

  Elspeth was shocked out of anger.

  No one, not one single person, not even Douglas, had managed to crack Fraser Liens's ever-perfect presentation.

  But Demetre Langlois had done it with a simple sentence.

  Before either Douglas or Fraser could retort, the doors to the grand dining room swung open, and all attention was pulled to the Duke and Duchess Liens.

  Demetre should have expected Rowan and Malcolm Liens to look exactly as they did.

  Malcolm looked like an older version of Hans; sandy hair, deep brown eyes, and a tall, athletic figure. He had resting lines on either side of his mouth, as well as crinkles at the edges of his eyes, proving he had spent most of his life smiling.