⁴¹, OFF TO CONQUER

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter forty-one; Off To Conquer
" If I die while you are alive tell them to bury me shallow, because I will always come back to you, Elspeth Liens."

ELSPETH LIENS ONLY had two hours of silence between messages

ELSPETH LIENS ONLY had two hours of silence between messages. When she received the first, that Demetre was meeting with the Duke of Guise and would miss their planned time in the art wing, her hope wilted.

  But Elspeth remembered his words the day before and decided to start without his attendance.

  She was perfecting the snowy landscape on a canvas when Hugo Laurent entered the wing with a nervous expression.

  "Let me guess," Elspeth sighed, dropping her paintbrush into a jar of water as she turned, "His meeting has run long."

  Hugo twisted his lips nervously.

  "It's alright, Hugo," She said quietly, reaching around to untie her apron, "I'll retire to my chambers until dinner, I only hope he'll be finished up by then."

  Elspeth pulled her apron off, over her head, and hung it on the side of her easel. She inspected her painting for a moment, telling herself she would return to finish this piece tomorrow. She wouldn't push it off the way she had been doing so often.

  But she turned to Hugo and her heart sank.

  "What's wrong?"

  "My lady. . ."

  "It's not his meeting, then?" Elspeth questioned, hurrying toward the man, "What is it?"

  Hugo seemed to be struggling to speak at all, but when Elspeth met him face to face with worry knitted in her brow, he spit it out.

  "His Majesty King Henry has sent troops to march on Calais. The army of the Duke of Guise leaves to join them today; they are preparing as we speak. . . The Dauphain and Lord Langlois will join the army."

  "What--?"

  "Lord Langlois will meet you at the front gate before he leaves, but the window is slim-- they must hurry if they are to arrive before--"

  "Take me there, then!"

  "Of course, my lady."

  And then they were off. Poor Hugo Laurent wasn't in the best of shapes, so he was huffing loudly trying to keep up with Elspeth's hurried pace; he'd attempted to slow her multiple times, assuring the woman Demetre would not leave before seeing her, but Elspeth hadn't faltered once.

  Her heart lurched to her throat as they arrived at the front gate-- as she saw the army. The men loaded up, mounting horses, preparing for a war.

  "Where is he?" Elspeth questioned, grabbing Hugo's arm as he doubled over to catch his breath, "Hugo, I can't see him."