⁴², THE GREAT HUGO LAURENT

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter forty-two; The Great Hugo Laurent
I don't think I've ever met someone who wasn't important. "

ELSPETH HAD NOT slept well at all, and it wasn't for lack of trying

ELSPETH HAD NOT slept well at all, and it wasn't for lack of trying. Her mind was too busy, and an invitation for a walk with Lord Landon hadn't helped.

She felt guilty for denying it, but Elspeth knew it would only worsen her state. So instead, she elected to spend the morning with her friends.

"How are you, Ellie?"

Her head snapped up at Kenna's voice, her fork clattering onto the plate in surprise.

"Oh, sorry," Elspeth said quickly, attempting to maintain a calmer exterior than she was, "I'm alright. It's quite cold, so I figure I might spend the day painting."

Greer and Kenna leaned forward in sync, making Elspeth pull away.

"Why are you two looking at me like that?"

"Because your head has been somewhere else all morning," Lola supplied, "You didn't even speak up when Greer talked about her father's meeting with Castleroy."

"Oh, Greer, I'm so sorry--"

"I don't care, I can tell you again later," Greer waved, "I'm more concerned about you."

Elspeth sighed, looking down at her plate for a moment.

"I'm worried about Demetre," She admitted, pushing the food around with her fork, "About his safety."

"Of course," Kenna said softly.

"But. . . the other thing is. . . when I said goodbye to him it just felt. . ."

All three ladies leaned closer.

"Different."

"Different how?"

"Like, romantic?"

"Oh, Ellie, this is wonderful!"

"Slow down," Elspeth said quickly, looking back up at the women, "Not. . . nothing like a love proclamation, just. . . I don't know. It felt more intimate."

Kenna raised a brow as she grinned.

"Oh, dear," Elspeth groaned, burying her face in her hands.

"If you have feelings for him--"

"I don't know if I do," Elspeth said quickly as Lola spoke, "I don't know what I feel. . . and even then, I don't know what he feels."

She was met with deadpan stares.

"He's in love with you," Kenna almost laughed.

"But--"

"No," Kenna said quickly, "Ellie, he is in love with you. I think he has been for a long time, too. What he said the other day made it crystal clear."