⁵⁶, LOVE YOU SO

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter fifty- six; Love You So
" God nor the devil could take me from you. Let alone some lowly royals. "

  ELSPETH RECEIVED AN invitation from Mary Stuart the day after she and Demetre's courtship was officially blessed and recognized

  ELSPETH RECEIVED AN invitation from Mary Stuart the day after she and Demetre's courtship was officially blessed and recognized. She thought it over even as she was getting ready; whether or not to arrive where Mary had summoned Elspeth and her ladies.

  But, eventually, once she was clothed in her finest dress and jewels, decorated her cheeks with rouge and dotted floral perfume on her wrists, Elspeth departed.

  She had Hugo in tow today as Alex was attending to Francis while they prepared for the christening.

  "You look like you're holding your tongue, Hugo," Elspeth pointed out as they walked, "Speak freely, please."

  "I am just happy, Elspeth," Hugo admitted, "For you and Lord Langlois."

  The woman grinned, a bit of a bounce in her step.

  "It's wonderful, isn't it?" She questioned after a moment, "Imagine it now, Hugo. I'll be Lady Langlois."

  Elspeth giggled like a giddy child. She'd never had the same bubble of excitement before, never been too keen on taking a man's name in place of her own, but now it was something that made her feel like a girl dreaming of love.

  "You'll suit the title beautifully, my lady," Hugo said fondly.

  As they approached the doors, Hugo held it open, following after Elspeth.

  And as her thoughts drifted to Demetre, Elspeth recalled a very small part of his story. About a sole guard that survived the attack, the guard that brought him back to the castle.

  "How long did you say you've worked for House Langlois?"

  "Ten years, my lady."

  "Hm."

  Hugo looked at her, furrowing his brows.

  "Is there anyone who has worked for House Langlois for, perhaps, 15 years? Or longer?"

  Hugo suddenly looked very uncomfortable. Shifting his weight and avoiding her eyes as if this would excuse him from answering her.

  "Um-- I believe it is not my place to say, my lady."

  "He's told me about it," She said quietly, "The attack. The Estate. His family. . . I'm simply curious who the guard was. That brought Demetre here."

  Hugo walked quietly beside her for a moment. As they crested a small hill, Elspeth laid eyes on Mary, already with Greer, Kenna, and Lola.

  "It can't be you, unless the truth was hidden," Elspeth said, "To protect you, perhaps."