¹⁹, WHAT IT TAKES TO HUNT

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter nineteen; What it Takes to Hunt
" I would forsake my country if it meant ensuring her safety and happiness. "

  DEMETRE HAD OPTED out of painting the morning following the news of Mary's proposition

  DEMETRE HAD OPTED out of painting the morning following the news of Mary's proposition. Elspeth had locked herself up in the art wing for two days straight, and while Demetre's worry for her was clear, he had other things to take care of.

  "Demetre, you support this?"

  "Ah, Catherine," The man greeted with a sigh, stretching his hands over his head, "Wonderful to see you."

  "This is serious, Henry will agree to Mary's proposition; I will lose my crown, my sons will lose--"

  Demetre stood swiftly, turning to face the woman. He narrowed his eyes for a long moment, before crossing the room to trade his boots for a new pair.

  "Do you know what it takes to hunt?"

  Catherine scoffed.

  "I'm asking honestly," Demetre said, sitting as he tugged off his shoes, "I know you've hunted people like animals, but do you know what it takes to hunt a wild animal, in its natural habitat and outside of your own?"

  Demetre turned in his seat, raising an eyebrow.

  "No," Catherine sighed, humoring the man.

  "Well, first you have to learn about what you are trying to kill," Demetre spoke smoothly, "How it lives, what it eats, where it sleeps. You have to learn how it moves, and how to track it. How it survives, how it fights against death."

  "How does this have anything to do--"

  "I have weighed out every possible outcome for the four people closest involved," Demetre cut off, swiftly standing, "This is the only one that doesn't involve anyone losing their life."

  "I might as well be."

  "Would you rather Mary wed Francis and see your son's untimely death?" Demetre questioned honestly, "Her refuse and watch Sebastian lose his life, and Elspeth surely break in the worst way a person could? Any other choice leads to these outcomes."

  "At the very least, Elspeth should be marrying Francis, not taking a place as Mistress to a Bastard on a throne," Catherine scoffed loudly.

  "Is that to ensure Francis's comfortability or Elspeth's happiness?"

  "Is this situation going to grant either of those things?"

  "Perhaps," Demetre noted, "I am no fortune-teller."

  "Not for the rest of their lives," Catherine urged, "Demetre, I thought of anyone, you might see reason--"

  "I am!"