⁴⁶, THE LIGHT OF THE SUN

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter forty-six; The Light Of The Sun
" Because I had been in the dark for thirteen years. And when I met you, I suddenly knew what it was like to live in the light of the sun. "

  THE TIME HAD come

THE TIME HAD come. Kenna had rushed to Elspeth's chambers in the morning after receiving a concerning message from a flustered Alex Dupont.

Elspeth chose now, mere hours before Demetre was meant to arrive from his success in conquering Calais, to tell Kenna everything.

Kenna's first priority was getting Elspeth ready.

She picked out a deep red dress, a color Demetre often donned, and jewelry to compliment the neckline. Kenna masterfully dotted rogue on Elspeth's cheeks and lips, bringing color back to her face, before dotting a floral perfume on each wrist.

Kenna tamed Elspeth's hair into neat ringlets, smiling proudly as she stepped back to admire the girl.

But Elspeth was still panicked. Her expression had not softened at all, and she sat stiffly at her vanity barely letting out real breaths.

"Ellie. . . the man you love will return to you today. That is something to be celebrated."

"If he does not share my affections, I may lose him entirely."

"I hardly think--"

"Think of it," Elspeth said, her eyes meeting Kena's, "A woman he's not bound to, but one he has done. . . everything for. He's provided me dresses, paints, jewels, housing. . . he's been kind to me, Kenna. Taken care of me when no one else could. . . I love him. . . and I cannot help but worry that professing my feelings may cause distance if he does not reciprocate them."

Kenna frowned deeply.

"Even if he does, that does not ensure things will end the way we want them to. . . With Henry still on the throne and after my head, nothing is safe. . . Not to mention I am a mess," She laughed sadly, "My reputation is tarnished; I've hardly shown up to court functions the past two months without him. I am. . . peculiar and loud and unruly when there are no other nobles to impress. . . he deserves someone good, Kenna, truly good, he has gone through so much, so many rumors. . . I do not want to be the cause of more of it. More rumors, more torment. . . I cannot imagine what people will think of him if. . ."

Elspeth blew out a long breath. It was so terrifying. Every aspect of it, from Demetre to the rest of the world. The leap of faith she would have to take was daunting even for a daredevil like Elspeth Liens.

"Do you want to know what I think?" Kenna said gently, taking a seat at Elspeth's side.

The woman nodded, unable to say a single word. Her hands were holding bunches of her newest dress, knuckles turning white at the strength.