²⁶, THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter twenty-six; The Freedom to Choose
" It took me too long to see my own suffering in the arrangement crafted by you and Henry. It took me even longer to see his. "

  "THE PROPHECY HAS changed, according to my mother

  "THE PROPHECY HAS changed, according to my mother."

  Elspeth raised her brows as she mounted a horse alongside Francis and Demetre.

  "You will live?" She said hopefully.

  "Live or die, Elle, I put no weight in prophecies."

  Elspeth twisted her lips as Francis took off, she and Demetre not far behind.

  She had no idea what had caused the prophecy to change. But knowing that it had, knowing that Mary could have the life she wanted with Francis without his early demise; it made her push her horse quicker than she ever had.

  "Sebastian!"

  Elspeth was breathless as they approached a small church, and Sebastian De Poitiers stood out back, on his own.

  He turned quickly, his eyebrows furrowing as she climbed from her horse, both Demetre and Francis following suit.

  "Ellie--?"

  "It's changed, the prophecy changed," She said breathlessly, "Mary and Francis can be wed-- it's all changed."

  Sebastian's lips parted and Elspeth could swear his eyes brimmed with tears.

  "I-- I don't need to. . ?"

  "You don't have to do a thing you don't wish for," Elspeth urged, "You do not need to take the throne or Mary as your wife--"

  Elspeth was cut off by Sebastian's lips crashing into her own. She melted into the familiarity instantly, lifting her hands to cup his face as he grabbed her waist, pulling her impossibly closer. He was kissing her like it was the first time he ever had and the last time he ever would. Like this was his only chance to.

  And when they finally broke apart, entirely breathless, Elspeth pulled his forehead down to rest upon her own.

  "I thought I had lost you."

  "I will never let you be taken away from me, ever again," Elspeth said quietly, "Not by royals or countries or politics-- not by anything."

  "And I, you, Elspeth Liens," He breathed, "I am so sorry--"

  "You did nothing," Elspeth shook her head, "We both held onto each other in the only way we thought possible when forced into a situation we neither wished for. I know you would not have been happy either." 

  Sebastian smiled behind glassy eyes.

  He'd been free to make his own choices his entire life. Good and bad. And the first one he made that he was sure of, the choice to marry Elspeth, was also the first one taken away from him.