⁵⁹, FRIENDS

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter fifty-nine; Friends
" If she comes harm I will burn France down with you in it. "

  SPRING WAS QUICKLY turning to Summer in France, and a cloudless sky meant no reprieve from the blistering sun for the four noblewomen strolling across the lush lawn of the castle

"It's baking, when will it cool down?"

"Don't wish for it yet, I've only just recovered from the snow."

Elspeth sighed, her arm linked with Kenna's as the latter complained of the weather.

"Where's Mary? I haven't seen her all day," Lola questioned.

"That's because your eyes have been glued to that book?"

"What book?"

Kenna giggled at Elspeth's curious gaze, quickly explaining that she had found a sort of diary written by a noblewoman, recounting risque redeveaus with various men at court. Each entry ranked the man on his prowess, and the best of all had yet to be found. The only real clue was that he was a hunter with a butterfly-shaped birthmark on his forearm.

And Lola and Kenna were searching for said man, so that Lola may have a romance; no matter how brief.

"Mary will find us," Lola said, "She wouldn't miss your last day of being an unmarried woman."

"Yes, your last hours of freedom before you become an utterly respectable and disgustingly wealthy mother of four."

Kenna approached a fountain, setting her goblet on the side before walking straight into the water.

"Kenna, what are you doing?"

"It's too hot, I'm cooling off!"

The woman laughed as Kenna walked around in the water, waving them in.

"Is it cold?"

"It's heaven."

Elspeth giggled, setting her cup down beside Kenna's, gathering the skirt of her dress as she stepped up onto the ledge, before dipping into the water.

It was chill, quickly sucking away any amount of discomfort the heat had provided.

Greer followed soon after, smiles on all of their faces.

"Greer, your dress," Lola said.

"Oh, no, your dress."

And quickly enough all of them were splashing each other, laughing loudly as the water cooled them off quickly.

Until Greer lost her foot and fell into the water, soaking the entirety of her dress.

"Are you all right?" Lola questioned.