²⁵, TO STEAL IT BACK

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter twenty-five; To Steal It Back
Because that is what love is to me. "

  THE JOURNEY HAD been horrible, even if only because of the throbbing headache in Elspeth's skull and the three times she'd emptied her stomach so far

  Francis had made it bearable.

  She half expected him to tease her, but every time he caught her pressing her fingers to her eyes, he urged more water. Every time she halted to find a lovely bush to puke in, Francis held her long hair back and rubbed soothing circles on her back until she was done.

  He'd not mentioned her breath once, which was something Elspeth truly could not understand.

  And even now, as they entered the French castle, Francis held out an arm for her to hold to stabilize herself.

"You should drop my arm."

"I would never."

Elspeth scoffed at Francis's teasing tone and his hand resting atop her own that was clutching the inside of his elbow.

"It will give the wrong impression and you know it," She said quietly.

"Let them think whatever they will," He spoke with a sudden ferocity as they entered the castle they both knew well, "I hold you dear, Elspeth. I care more for your opinion than that of others."

Elspeth only had a moment to smile at the sentiment as they rounded a corner. It seemed God was testing Francis's conviction, as the very first people they stumbled upon, arm in arm, were Mary and her ladies.

"Ellie," Kenna spoke up, "You were meant to be gone for a week."

"I would have been, had Douglas not dragged me around Paris all day and night until we found a familiar face," Elspeth breathed out a laugh, dropping Francis's arm only to accept Kenna's embrace.

"I suppose that's reason enough," Kenna said quietly, "Tell me later?"

"All of it," Elspeth confirmed, squeezing Kenna's hands.

It was then Elspeth looked to the other ladies. Greer watched her and Francis with a close eye, while Lola seemed to avoid looking at the Dauphin. And Mary watched, wearing her heartache for the first time in weeks.

"I'm going to find your mother," Elspeth turned to Francis, "Join us when you can."

Francis nodded, watching Elspeth depart only to be halted by Kenna's voice.

"Ellie, wait!" Kenna called, "Your brother, Hans, he arrived yesterday with Mary's mother."

Elspeth's eyes widened.

"He's given Bash quite the talking to," Kenna spoke quieter, linking her arm with Elspeth's and slowly leading her away from the group, "Ellie, Mary and Bash mean to elope today."