⁰⁵, BETWEEN TWO BROTHERS

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter five; Between Two Brothers
What does your heart tell you about me? "

chapter five; Between Two Brothers" What does your heart tell you about me? "

  COLIN WAS ALIVE. It turned out he'd escaped and avoided execution, and as happy as Elspeth was, at this revelation, that Lola's love may not yet be lost, and Mary had the chance to discover who was plotting against her, she had no time to think as Catherine requested Elspeth alone come with her and the king.

  "Henry, this is Elspeth Leins," Catherine introduced as soon as the trio exited Mary's room.

  "Your Majesty," Elspeth greeted properly, curtseying and allowing Henry to press a kiss to the back of her hand, despite her revulsion.

  Catherine saw through and nearly broke out into a smile.

  "May we have a moment?"

  "Anything you'd say to her, you can say in front of me."

  Clearly, Catherine didn't want her husband hovering over the conversation, but she wasn't one to quit so easily.

  "Now, Elspeth," Catherine cleared her throat, beginning a slow pace, "You're a smart young woman, yes?"

  "I believe so."

  "And you're not timid, which I respect," The woman continued, "And, you're loyal to your queen."

  "Of course," Elspeth spoke slowly, furrowing her brows, "Mary's family has been nothing but kind to mine, and she's been my friend for years; I know her values and believe in her as a woman and a ruler."

  "No need to defend, this is not an attack," Catherine eased, "I just ask that you reassure her."

  "She seems plenty reassured knowing that she'll get to speak with Colin."

  "As I said, that may not happen," The woman informed tightly, "And I need you to make her. . . lenient."

  "I beg your pardon?"

  "She's hard-headed, and that's dangerous here at court," Catherine said, smiling, "But you're smart, you think with your head and not your heart, and I do believe you'll be a great help in building the bridge between Scotland and France."

  "But—"

  "Thank you, dear," She said, smile never wavering, "I knew you were the right one to come to."

  Catherine continued walking, despite Elspeth remaining still with her jaw hanging open. Henry chuckled, making the girl look up at him in shock.

  "You'll have to excuse my wife, she often forgets her place," He spoke, words rolling off like they weighed nothing when Elspeth thought it was quite a horrible thing to say. "I'll do everything I can to bring that boy back unharmed, just as I promised your queen."