⁶², THE LIENS ESTATE

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter sixty-two; The Liens Estate
" The Monster of France is to marry my sister and I'm expected not to-- "

chapter sixty-two; The Liens Estate" The Monster of France is to marry my sister and I'm expected not to-- "

DEMETRE COULD NOT help but remember his own home as they arrived at the Liens Estate.

The ride through the Duchy had been beautiful. And the home of the Duke and Duchess was remarkable.

The carriage entered a circular road that led right to the front of the grand main house. It was a towering building, made entirely of stone, save from the large front doors, a dark wood detailed with gold metal.

Windows flocked the walls, each one framed by intricately crafted shutters and housing a flower box.

The house was on the crest of a hill, so there was a grand set of stone stairs leading to the front door, either side of it lined with blooming wildflowers.

Demetre could see their land expanded behind them; stables, a guardhouse, a garden, an orchard. It looked endless.

And when he turned to Elspeth she looked petrified.

"Petal?"

Elspeth Liens was lost in her own thoughts. Her own memories in that house.

Elspeth wondered if the windows still let in as much light. She wondered if her mother still opened them every afternoon, or if this had only been done because Elspeth always complained about being forced to stay inside for lessons. She wondered if it would smell like something sweet baking (it always had, Elspeth had never grown out of her sweet tooth), or if any of the furniture would have been moved.

She wondered what Hans's quarters looked like. If his study had been touched. She wondered if her paint was still in it.

Elspeth wondered if it would feel emptier. Without four children running around. It was too large a house for two people.

"Petal?"

She snapped her head up, only to meet Demetre's worried expression.

"Sorry," She said weakly, "I-- I was just thinking. . . it doesn't matter. Let's not keep anyone waiting."

Demetre frowned, but departed from the carriage and extended a hand to help her down.

Elspeth accepted it, sucking in a deep breath as the warm Scottish weather hit her fully.

"Lady Elspeth!"

The woman grinned as a familiar handmaid, Josie Wilkins, rushed from the home.

"Josie," Elspeth greeted, quickly pulling the woman into a hug, "Oh, how have you been? I've missed you!"

"It's been entirely too quiet around the estate without you," Josie laughed, "I've not had to clean mud off the floors in a year, and there's no one left to chase back into their lessons."