²¹, THE QUEENS FAVORITE

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter twenty-one; The Queen's Favorite
A brief display of power, but a display nonetheless. "

  "SHE IS PLOTTING, Petal

"SHE IS PLOTTING, Petal."

"I know."

Demetre raised a brow at her words and her unflinching nature.

Elspeth hadn't lied entirely when excusing herself from Mary's presence. After stopping by her bedchambers to switch her dress for one just as plain, but in better condition, she sought out Demetre Langlois.

But he was not helping her prepare for anything. He was watching her paint. Or try to paint. All she managed to do was smear colors around the canvas, barely starting a legible shape before covering it and starting anew.

"Have you visited him yet?"

Elspeth faltered, her paintbrush hovering over the canvas.

"I do not know if I could."

"Why?"

"Because if I do, I might just go through with it all."

Demetre noted her hand shaking as she set the brush down, but he did not move. He did not rush or pressure her. He only waited.

"If I see him, speak to him," She said quietly, "I will be reminded as to why I started loving him in the first place."

Elspeth finally turned to the man, her eyes shining with unshed tears as she took a seat on the ground, her dress and apron pooling around her.

"I still want to marry him," Elspeth admitted sadly, "He is still the man I love. . . But you're right. I. . . I will not be happy as his mistress. I would only ever be happy as his wife."

Demetre stood from his chair, standing over Elspeth for a moment. She peered up at him as a single tear fell, and that was when Demetre slowly sunk to a knee, leaning closer to the woman.

"So tell him that," He whispered, "Tell him if he is to hold a crown and country, he cannot have you. Even if you do not hate him for it, you cannot remain at his side. Even if you may want to."

Elspeth's lip quivered at the idea.

"And tell him if Henry's attempt to legitimize him fails, and he is not set to be the next King of France," Demetre continued, "That you wish to pick up where you left off."

"That. . . that does not seem fair."

"If it is something you can live with, it is fair. What's not fair is forcing you into this situation. This choice. It is not fair, Petal."

She reached up to wipe her tears, sniffling as she did.

It felt like no matter what she did, she was to lose. Elspeth had never wanted to be selfish-- but it was unfair. She was engaged to Sebastian. She had fallen in love with him. How was it so easy for some politics to steal this from her? How dare they-- how dare they take that away?