⁴⁰, THE LOYAL ADVISOR

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter forty; The Loyal Advisor
You've given me two reasons to see that you are dead before Francis becomes King. Do not let it become three. "

  DEMETRE HAD BEEN suffocated with duties

DEMETRE HAD BEEN suffocated with duties. More so than ever before, so when Francis arrived at his chambers unannounced, he knew he was in for it.

"What's he done now?" Demetre sighed, leaning on his door.

  "It's not my father, this once," Francis breathed, clearly tense, "It's Mary."

  Demetre raised a brow, crossing his arms as he nodded.

  "Her mother is in trouble. Surrounded. We can't spare troops right now, so she has invited the Duke of Guise to ask for his help."

  "So she's an idiot?"

  "Careful, Demetre, she is my wife."

  "The man is--"

  "I am well aware," Francis sighed, "In exchange for sending his troops to Scotland's aide, he's asked to be made Lord Magistrate. My father would never agree, even with his current state. . . so I plan on speaking with him. Without Mary."

  Demetre stood at his full height, eyeing Francis for a moment.

  "You're playing a dangerous game."

  "So I need dangerous company," Francis nodded.

  "Ah," Demetre noted, "So today I am the Dauphin's watchdog?"

  "No. Today you are my advisor."

  Demetre's expression sobered, his arms falling to his sides.

  "Francis, I--"

  "I know," The man said, his tone softening, "But there is no one else I'd want at my side."

  Demetre nodded, stepping into the hall and shutting the door behind himself.

  "Then let us barter with the Duke of Guise."

"Were the guards necessary?"

Demetre flicked his eyes up at the voice. His jaw tightened as Christian entered the throne room with a lazy smile on his face, scanning the surroundings and lingering on Demetre for a long moment.

The Duke of Guise had a reputation that nearly rivaled Demetre's own for all the wrong reasons. Both were said to be cruel men, but the fork in their road was Demetre's undying loyalty to the French crown.

"Surely a messenger would have sufficed," Christian said, his eyes finding Francis as the Dauphain approached him.

"I wanted to speak to you alone, away from your men."

"But not away from your men, I see," Christian rebutted, glancing at the guards around them, "Have you spoken with your father?"

"The king will not agree to the position you want."