³⁵, A NEW PLACE AT COURT

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirty-five; A New Place At Court
"We are only trying to repay you for all you've done for us."

  IT TOOK A shocking amount of convincing from Catherine De Medici for Elspeth Liens to leave her chambers

  After the queen had Elspeth bathed and fed, and persuaded her the entire time, they set out arm in arm to the only respite in the castle.

  "I am glad to see it's getting used."

  Elspeth smiled weakly as they entered the familiar art wing, piled high with art and supplies. Catherine helped Elspeth tie her apron on before meandering the canvases.

  "You finished it."

  Catherine's face turned into a fond smile as she stumbled upon a large portrait of herself.

  It was unlike any other that existed. It was not created out of need, the brush strokes were not full of worry if the Queen herself would like it or not. The painting did not reflect the De Medici or the Queen or the parts of Catherine that she counted most important.

  She looked kind.

  In the portrait, she looked like a mother. With half of her curls falling down, a crown still resting on her head, but a light in her eyes. A warmth in her smile. Color on her cheeks.

  "I am glad it won't be used," Elspeth admitted, "I wish my only portrait of you was not created for your funeral."

  "I'll take it."

  "It's not for sale," Elspeth breathed out a laugh, turning back to her blank canvas, "None of them are."

  "Not even to me?" Catherine questioned, clasping her hands together.

  "You may have it, as a gift," Elspeth said, dolloping paint colors onto a palette, "But I do not need to be paid for it."

  "Why not?"

  "I have more money than I know what to do with," Elspeth said, dipping her brush into the first color, "I always have. Never wanted for a thing. I want for nothing now. Especially with the constant flow of gifts from Demetre."

  Catherine raised a brow, approaching the girl.

  "I had noticed that."

  "You had?" Elspeth questioned, turning to the queen briefly, "He's kinder than he lets on. I made one comment about Parisian dresses. If he keeps sending them, I'll need an extra room just for my clothing."

  "Has he come to see you?"

  Elspeth faltered with her brushstroke but quickly steeled herself.

  "Not since that night. I suppose he's busy."