³⁴, WEDDING NIGHT

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirty-four; Wedding Night
" You inspire it, Elspeth. It is not something that is meant for you. It is something that you make. "

  AS SOON AS Elspeth received word that Sebastian and Francis had returned, Demetre escorted her through the most discreet corridors of the French castle

  She arrived at the room, entering without her escort.

  "I'm glad to see you both unscathed."

  The brothers turned from the fire, greeting her with warm smiles. Elspeth took a seat beside Sebastian, the man lifting an arm to pull her under it.

  "So, did you find the Darkness?"

  "Not. . . quite."

  Elspeth deflated.

  "We will still leave, tomorrow at dawn," Sebastian said, "You were right. And, as much as I hate to admit it, so was Demetre."

  She looked up at him.

  "I will be better," He whispered, "For the both of us."

  Elspeth smiled, only sinking further into Sebastian's side. Perhaps there was no decision, after all. Perhaps this was it for her; Sebastian was not a perfect man, but such a thing did not exist. And Elspeth was willing to work through whatever they needed because she loved him.

  "How has it been for you?" Elspeth questioned, looking to Francis, "Two months of marriage, I mean?"

  "Ah," Francis smiled nervously, "It has been. . . good. Not easy, by any means. . . but we spent a while, just the two of us. I think that was good. To sort out everything."

  "I'm happy for you," Elspeth said, smiling genuinely.

  "Thank you, Elspeth. I only hope the two of you--"

  "Ah, Francis."

  The brothers stood at attention, Elspeth jumping to her feet alongside them.

  Henry entered carelessly, eyes wide and wild as he stared at the trio.

  "Why did you release Sebastian from the dungeon?"

  "You were in the dungeon--?" Elspeth blurted before thinking.

  "I just needed his help," Francis said, attempting to control the situation just slightly.

  "Well, now that he's here," Henry said, "We need to finish this, once and for all."

  "Finish what. . ?"

  "Bash," Henry said, approaching them, "When I told you to forget about the crown, I hoped you would listen to me. But when I looked into your eyes the night you left, I saw the truth. You will always covet what your brother has."