⁰⁸, AN ADVENTURE AFTER SICKNESS

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter eight; An Adventure After Sickness
Love does not have any restrictions, not even time. "

  ELSPETH HAD READ over the short note Sebastian had left her nearly ten times in the past few days

  ELSPETH HAD READ over the short note Sebastian had left her nearly ten times in the past few days. It was nothing of particular importance, a simple explanation of why he'd be absent and a promise to spend time together when he returned.

  But it meant the world to Elspeth.

  "Do you bring that everywhere?" Demetre questioned, pointing to the note resting on a cupboard beside Elspeth's easel.

  "Oh, shut it," Elspeth sighed, stepping back from her painting briefly, "He took the time to write a note for me, instead of letting someone tell me— that means something."

  "Sure," Demetre nodded, leaning back in his chair. "Suppose you painting him means something as well."

  Elspeth's face went hot at this comment, the girl dunking her brush in water and turning to the man with her arms crossed.

  "If you're going to be rude, you may leave."

  "Actually, I'm quite comfortable here—"

  Elspeth angrily grabbed a paintbrush, still coated in deep blue, ready to paint on a living canvas for the first time, until the door of the room pushed open urgently.

  "Oh, hello."

  A nervous castle worker took a deep breath before speaking.

  "Lady Elspeth, Queen Mary requested you meet her urgently— Sebastian is hurt—"

  Blue paint splattered like stars in the sky as the brush hit the ground. It dotted Elspeth's dress as Demetre stood quickly, but nobody seemed to notice as they rushed from the room past the kind girl, who stood in the wake of her nerves.

  "Is Sebastian okay?" Elspeth questioned hurriedly, not quite caring as she burst into the room full of royals.

  "I should have that girl fired," Catherine angrily mumbled, "Worrying Elspeth like this—"

  "Is he okay?" Elspeth reiterated louder, taking everyone by surprise.

  "Elle," Mary gently interrupted, holding her arms open.

  And that was all that needed to be said.

  Elspeth quickly embraced her friend, holding tightly to the only semblance of comfort she could have now.

  He might not make it.

  "Come."

  Henry urged his family to follow him, and attempted to clear Elspeth out of the room— but this was one thing Catherine won.