Ch.32 First Day of Work...Again

**Chapter 32**

"My dad wouldn't let me leave my room." Jace apologizes for the millionth time. "He got pissed at me and told me not to leave."

"Okay," Nicoletta says.

Dinner last night with Jace and his family didn't go as well as either of them thought it would. Nicoletta had shut herself in her room and cried herself to sleep after Jace and his father stopped screaming at each other next door. Astrid is pissed at her for yelling at her for no reason and Nicoletta is too embarrassed to apologize just yet.

"Nicoletta, I really am sorry. You should just forget everything my father said."

"I'm trying," Nicoletta spits out and stares out the window as the high school nears.

"I'm sorry, I'll just shut up now."

Nicoletta nods her head in agreement. She has no reason to be mad at Jace, it's his father she's mad at. Jace is just the only person who understands why she's mad, and he looks just like Bruce. Why does he have to look like Bruce?

Jace parks the car in the parking lot and Nicoletta jumps out, not even waiting for him. He can since she is mad so he walks slowly behind her.

All through first and second period she ignores him. She doesn't answer the few questions she is asked by the teachers, just stares ahead angrily.

Nicoletta looks at Jace, who sits on the other side of the room in Chemistry. She sighs as he stares out the window not paying attention to the teacher. Maybe she shouldn't be too hard on him. It wasn't his fault his dad freaked out on them.

Jace looks at her and smiles so she gently smiles back, causing him to light up with an even bigger smile.

**********************************555****************************************

Jace parks the car on the curb and idles the car in front of Arabella's Diner. The little place is literally on the corner of 1st and 2nd Ave. It looks like a Café in a movie from the outside, with its eating tables with little red and white umbrella's on top of them. A big neon green sign flashes, Open, then flashes neon blue to get the attention. On top of the building a big sign says The Diner in retro pink colors and lettering.

"Thanks for driving me," Nicoletta says to Jace who puts the car in park.

"No problem."

Nicoletta unbuckles her seatbelt and kisses him on the cheek.

"I'm sorry, again, I shouldn't have taken my anger for your father out on you."

"It's alright." He kisses her gently on the lips.  "I would come in but I have to meet my father at the mall for some interview."

"It's alright, you don't have to come in."

"But I want to. I'll come in tomorrow, I promise."

"Really? You want to come into my work?"

"Well yeah, I want to see my girl at work," He smiles.

Nicoletta smiles back and kisses him. "I really have to go now, though. My mom will dock my paycheck just like everyone else if I'm late."

"Alright, do you need me to pick you up?"

"No, my mom will drive me home since I help her close up."

"Okay, have a good time,"

Nicoletta laughs as she steps out of the car. "Yeah, I'll try, you have fun with you dad."

"Ugh," Jace groans. Nicoletta shuts the door and waves as he drives away.

Inside the Diner it gets even cheesier, with a bell ringing as you open the door. Plastic maroon Diner booths and pink and white checkered tiles on the floor. Even the music is classic Diner music, the kind that isn't quite clear but you can still make out the words. The spinning chairs at the front already have people at them, even a few in the booths.