Ch.35 Surprises

**Chapter 35**

Delilah stares at the text message on her iPhone again. Detective Boston texted saying he would contact her later that night with new information on her sisters.

"It's already five o'clock," Delilah says to Zach as they walk back into their house, well Zach's mom's house.

"Give him time, babe," Zach says as he kisses her head.

"I can't help it though. I need to know what's up." Delilah kicks off her slightly muddy shoes.

She and Zach took a walk around the block to keep her mind off of her sisters.

"I know, but still," Zach says as he kicks his shoes off as well.

"Zach, is that you?" Someone asks.

Zach and Delilah's heads both turn toward the living room.

"Mom?" Zach looks at her curiously.

Maureen stands next to her boyfriend, Ted, in the entryway to the living room. Her blond hair in ringlets down her back. She wears a navy blue dress with a plunging neck line, with matching beads around her neck and left wrist. Her nails are manicured a deep shade of red, which stand out from her dark dress. Her feet are bare, showing her red manicured toes.

Ted's hair looks on end as he stands awkwardly next to her. He wears a white button up blouse with a tie hanging loose around his neck. His feet are bare as well, but his black dress pants cover half of them. He is handsome, for an older man. His eyes are a piercing green with long eyelashes, his nose is straight and perfect, and he has high cheek bones and a strong jaw to put all his facial features together.

"I thought you weren't supposed to be here until this weekend," Zach says and hangs up his coat in the closet.

"Well, we came home early, we have a few surprises for the both of you," Maureen smiles up at Ted.

"A few?" Zach questions.

"The both of us?" Delilah asks.

"Yes, the both of you." She says.

"How many surprises?"

"Well, I'm not going to tell you them all right away. I will tell you when the time is right," Maureen smiles smugly at them both.

"Then why did you tell us in the first place, mom, you know how I hate surprises, especially when I know their coming and I don't know what it is."

"Oh, Zach, baby, I love to torture you." She chuckles. "Come, I will show you your first surprise." She turns on her heel and slips her feet into a pair of sandals by one of the many couches and motions for everyone to follow her.

Zach takes Delilah's hand as they follow Ted and Maureen to the back door in the kitchen. Ted holds the door open for them all then runs to catch up to Maureen who walks ahead of them all. She leads them to the construction site on their property where Zach used to live.

Workers have taken the tall brick fence down so only the yellow construction tape and orange cones are left blocking their way. The little maids house is completely remodeled. Delilah can tell they have added onto it.

"What the," Zach trails off as he stares at his old house. "What happened to it?"

"I had it remodeled." Maureen replies cheerfully. "I even had the sidewalk redone, see," She points to the sidewalk they all stand on.

Delilah stares at the decorative rocks that she stands on. It looks like a normal cement sidewalk at the side of a road, only with colorful rock thrown into it.