Ch.26 Interrogation

**Chapter 26**

 Delilah looks at Jace next to her. “How did you do that?” She asks him.

Jace looks at Delilah and shrugs.

“Yes you do,” Delilah says. “You just stood up to a police officer and made him agree to let me talk to Sandy, which they were denying me.”

Jace bites his lip, no wonder Nicoletta loves him so much, all Jace has to do is bite his lip and it makes you want to jump him.

“I have connections.” He says slowly, choosing his words.

“What kinds of connections. Because last time I checked you couldn't just stand up to an officer like that. I’m lucky I got away with all that I did.”

“My father is above them.”

“Your dad is above the law?” Delilah says, not believing him.

“Most yeah,”

“How?” Delilah asks.

“It’s complicated.” Delilah gives him a hard look. “It is, and it would take longer than ten minutes to explain.”

Delilah huffs at him. “Would your father explain it to me?”

“No,” He flatly says. “My father is not the kind of man to talk and explain things. I’m surprised he talks to me.”

“Really, Jace?”

Jace looks at her with a serious expression.

“Fine. Stay secretive.” Delilah says. “Does Nicoletta know?”

“Partly,”

“Partly? You have been dating for months and she only knows partly?”

“Well, I told her all that I could. I really wasn't supposed to tell her the bit that I did but things just happened and I did.”

“Wow, Jace, smooth.”

“It’s not like I could just tell her that my father-,” He cuts himself off.

“Your father what?” Delilah presses, genuinely curious now.  

“When I get my father’s business she will know everything.”

“Is he like the president’s body guard or something?” Delilah says, coming up with the best she could.

“Something like that,” Jace says flatly and looks back out the window.

Delilah just stares at him. “Something like that?”

He says nothing.

“You came from Australia so he must be pretty good at what he does then huh.” Delilah presses.

“The best,” Jace says, somewhere in his own mind.

“Hmm, and you say you’re going to take over?”

Jace sighs, excepting that Delilah won’t give up.

“Yes, when my father retires I will take over.”

“When will that be? I mean how old is he right now?”

“He’s sixty-five right now.”

“Wow, he’s old.”

“It’s not that old.”

“Yeah, kinda is.”

Jace rolls his eyes and smiles.

“So when does he plan on retiring?”

“Sometime when he’s seventy I think.”

“Seventy?” Delilah almost shouts. “Usually people retire at sixty not seventy.”