Chapter 5

"Well, that is easy to answer. I didn't mean to," I reply while taking a seat. "I only meant to stay along the border and never enter the territory. I guess I didn't realize how far I had traveled inward till I heard the guards looking for me yesterday."

"So you aren't here on some secret agenda or anything," Everett questioned looking a little shocked.

"Nope. I am all alone. I don't have anyone," I said solemnly looking away from him not wanting to show weakness.

"Well, what happened to you? How did you become a rogue?" he continued to question me.

"I didn't choose this okay? I had no choice," I answered then quickly realized that was very rude. He wouldn't know about my past and I shouldn't be so snappy. After all, they have treated me nicely so far.

"I apologize. I shouldn't be so rude. You have been nothing but nice to me," I looked away embarrassed not used to a lot of human interaction.

"Hey, it's alright. I am just trying to prepare you for when the Alpha gets here. He will probably ask the same questions and won't be as nice or patient," Everett said with a soft look on his face. Taking a moment to really notice Everett, I realize he is actually a nice person who has to always act tough in front of people. It is nice to see that he is willing to be so nice to me.

Everett's eyes glazed over as he talked with someone through the mind link. I hope it was the Alpha on his way down. I was ready to leave this place.

"I apologize. The Alpha is on his way down but please continue," Everett informed me. I only nodded and started to tell him the story.

"My pack was attacked by a bunch of rogues about five years ago. It all happened so quickly. In the blink of an eye, I lost everything. A few of us that were left alive were taken as prisoners. The rogues that captured us told us that they had killed everyone and that we were lucky enough to be alive. We didn't understand why we were chosen as it was only the younger pack members they took," I started on the story not realizing just how hard it would be. "The people that captured us torture us in the worst ways. They would beat you more if tried to fight back. The things they did still cause me nightmares, and I would never wish it on anyone."

I hadn't realized I was crying till I felt the tear that had fallen onto my hand. I quickly tried to wipe my tears away. Everett was looking at me with pity and sorrow in his eyes. I didn't want people to feel sorry for me. It wouldn't change anything that happened. I was about to tell him that it was okay and to not feel sorry for me when Willow started perking up and acting crazy in my head.

"He is coming! He is coming!" Willow said full of excitement. I didn't understand what had gotten into her. She has been acting weird ever since we got caught by the guards.

"What are you talking about? Who is coming," I asked her but before she could answer the door to the cells flew open, and I heard heavy footsteps coming down the stairs. As the person came into view, it was like the world disappeared. There was only me and this amazing man standing there. Willow was going nuts howling in my head, but I barely registered it as the only thing that came from my mouth was...

"Mate."

"Mine," was the only thing that came from this beautiful man's mouth. I was in shock. I didn't think I even had a mate anymore. I was quickly brought out of my state of shock when the man came quickly rushing over to my cell. I was slightly scared by the look in his eyes. They had gone pitch black and he looked as if he could barely control himself.

I couldn't tell if he was going to hurt me or not. I know your mate wouldn't hurt you in most cases, but I have heard stories where mates were abusive. I knew this was a rare thing but it still caused me to start to panic.

"He would never hurt us. I can tell he already cares for us," Willow tried to reassure me, but I was hesitant to listen.

"Everett unlock the door," the man who stood in front of me commanded. I was getting really scared now. I quickly back up against the back wall and tried to curl myself up as small as I could. The stranger's eyes softened slightly but were still pitch black. Everett moved slowly to the door as if he was hesitant to open the door.

"Alpha, I think you should calm down a little. You might be scaring her," Everett tried to reason with him. This caused the Alpha to growl at Everett which only scared me more. He quickly unlocked the door and stood back a few feet. The man who I now know is the Alpha seemed as if he is battling with himself. It seems as if was trying to calm down after seeing how scared I was. As he went to step forward, I tried to back away more. He looked hurt but that quickly changed once he breathed in. His eyes went back to pitch black and his sight turned to Everett.

"Why does my mate smell of you?" the Alpha asked Everett through gritted teeth. I looked down to see that I was still only in the shirt that Everett had given me in the woods yesterday. When I looked back up, I saw that the Alpha had Everett pinned against the wall.

"I had to give her my shirt because she didn't have any clothes when we caught her yesterday. And I had to carry her because she refused to walk after a while," Everett rushed out. The Alpha did not seem like this answer.

"What made you think you could touch her? She is mine!" The Alpha growled while hardening his grip on Everett. I was scared for Everett because he was actually really nice to me and was a kind person. I was so scared to say anything, but I knew if I didn't then it could be deadly.

"Please don't hurt him," I barely got out over how scared I was. I know I try to act tough, but situations like this bring me back to the days I was held captive.

The Alpha looked over at me and his eyes soften after only hearing my voice. The grip he had on Everett was still there.

"Everett was only trying to help. He gave me his shirt so I wouldn't be naked, and he made sure that everyone turned around while I put it on. He only carried me because I was so tired from all the running I had done," I don't know what made me start to talk. I just knew it was helping calm down the Alpha. He dropped his hold on Everett, who gave a sigh of relief.

The Alpha shut his eyes trying to calm himself down. I was able to get a good look at him now. I was at least a foot taller than me at 6'4. He had jet-black hair. His face looked as if it was chiseled out. He was very muscular but not in an over-the-top way. Overall, he was a very beautiful man. Once he opened his eyes, I was lost in deep pools of blue. I feel like I could stare at them for hours. He seemed to have gained his composure at this point.

He walked closer to me but kept a distance from me realizing I was not used to strangers. I could tell it hurt him to not be able to be closer to me. I got up off the floor and took a couple of steps closer to him.

"Hey, my name is Madelyn. What is your name?" I questioned while studying his face. He looked as if he was from a painting. He was perfect looking. I realized I probably looked like a mess covered in dirt.

"My name is Marcus, and it is a pleasure to meet you," he said while reaching his hand out for me to shake. I was hesitant but shook his hand. I felt sparks shoot up my arm which made me quickly let go of his hand. I could tell this made him sad, but he quickly covered that up.

"Well, I would love to continue this chat, but I know you are probably hungry and would like to shower so let's head upstairs," Marcus said to me while turning to go out of the cells.

**********

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to like, comment, and share! I plan to try and get the first 10 chapters or so out before I set up an upload day for myself. I want to have a good little bit done for you all. Hopefully, I can do that.

What is your favorite candy? I love any kind of gummies. Whether it is bears, worms, or sharks I will eat them all.

*Edited*