17

(Alex P.O.V.)

We sat down at the table and are waiting for Verone. Monica starts eating like it's a natural thing.

"You sure are cozy in this big ol' mansion. Sleepin' with the enemy." Rome says. Monica notices Verone coming and waves at him. Rome and Brian go to stand up.
"No, no, no. Sit down." Verone says as he gets to the table and sits.
"Nice Ferrari you got in the driveway," Brian says.
"I'm glad you like it," Verone says emptying the package on his plate. "Darlin', will you hold that?" Verone asks handing Monica the package.

"We did all that for a damn cigar?" Rome asks.
"No, you did that for a job. Do you think that I would let somebody impound my car? The boatyard's mine. Oh, by the way, you two owe me a gate. But I'll just take it off your cut." Verone explains.
"Off our cut. Yeah, I like that." Rome says.
"Good," Verone says.
"What's this job you got us anyway?" Brian asks before Rome can say anything else.
"Come with me," Verone says getting up. We all get up and follow him. When we are a ways from the house we stop. "The house has ears in it. I have something I want you to carry from North Beach to the Keys." Verone explains.

"What is it?" Brian asks. Verone looks at me and I nod, letting him know now would be a good time to shoot them down.
"Just put in the car what I tell you to, drive it to me and don't let anyone stop you, understand?" Verone says taking control.
"Yeah. Any chance of cop trouble?" Brian asks.
"No. I'm buying you a window of time, but it's not gonna be open very long. You make it, and I'll personally hand you a 100 G's. Alex will be riding with you. I will notify her anytime you both need to meet us somewhere." Verone explains.
"Make it 100 G's a piece, Papi. Look, man, obviously, your pockets ain't nervous." Rome says messing with Verone's pockets. I seriously want to punch him in the face right now for being so stupid.

"Hey, hey, hey. Don't ever touch me." Verone says pointing a finger at Rome.
"Ours are empty. Like I said, we hungry." Rome continues.
"I got an idea. Why don't you two boys and lady join us at the club later tonight?" Verone asks.
"Yeah. Pearl at midnight?" Monica says.
"We'll get to know each other a little better," Verone says.
"We'll be there," I say.
"All right," Rome says.
"Sounds good," Brian says.
"We'll see you tonight," Monica says.
"See ya," I say and we begin to head to the cars. Monica heads to the house.

"Hey, you!" Verone yells making us stop. "Your pockets aren't empty," Verone says.
"Damn," Rome says.
"I'll take my cutter back," Verone says.
"Stupid ass." Brian and I say at the same time. Rome and I walk back over to Verone.

"Hey, man, I figured you had, like, 12 or 13," Rome says trying to play it off. Rome hands the cutter back to Verone.
"You're not too bright, are you? Just get out of here." Verone says to Rome.
"I'll catch up in a minute," I say to Rome and Brian. They head to the cars. "I'll see if I can't set him straight," I tell Verone and he nods before grabbing my face and kissing me on the cheek. I fake a smile at him before I take off to the cars, cause I am totally grossed out. I end up behind Brian and Rome, staying close enough to hear what they say, without them knowing.

"Same old Rome, doin' the same old stupid shit," Brian says giving Rome a noogie.
"Get off me, man," Rome says shoving him off.
"What, runnin' your mouth? Insultin' people? Stealin' Verone's shit?" Brian asks.
"Think I'm gonna let somebody stare me down? I didn't let nobody stare me down in jail, homeboy. Think I'm gonna let it fly on a beach?" Rome asks Brian. "And, you, I'll take my cutter back. His rich ass." Rome says trying to imitate Verone.

"And you're packin'!" Brian continues naming off all the things Rome did wrong.
"Like you ain't?" Rome challenges. Brian doesn't say anything. "Exactly," Rome says proving his point.
"From here, I do the talkin'," Brian says.
"Looks like you wanna do a little more than that." Rome smarts off.
"Oh, and what's that supposed to mean?" Brian asks.
"It means you always gettin' in trouble over a female, Brian. And better yet this one is a cop." Rome explains. They get into their cars. I wait a little bit in my hiding spot and then walk out. I walk to Brian's car and get in.