35

(August P.O.V.)

Rome and I walk into the evidence part of the police station. I only went in just in case Rome needed help.

"Ooh. Hello, beautiful. Look at those dimples. Sexy, sexy." Rome says to the lady on the other side of the glass. She just smiles, so I think she doesn't know English. "Love those glasses. Where did you get them from? Are those like Gucci frames or something?" The lady gets up and leaves. "No English? No, no, no. Damn." A guy walks up to the window.

"How are you, sir?" The guy asks Rome.
"Special Agent O'Conner. US Federal Bureau of Investigation," Rome says showing him Brian's badge, but he holds it open too long.
"It says Caucasian," The guy says.
"That's a tan. You know, tan?" Rome says rubbing his face. "Look, I'm working this case and I got some evidence here to be held. But I need to get in and check your storage facility first."
"Nope," The guy says.
"Look, I know you're a true professional, and I respect you, I promise. You know, it looks like you work out a bit, too. What do you bench, about 350?" Rome says starting to step over the line.

"Ah, shit," I mumble under my breath.
"Look, I'm just trying to do my job, man. My boss sent me here to just make sure everything was safe," Rome says starting to annoy the guy.
"It will be safe," The guy says.
"Let me just come in and take a quick peek," Rome says and I step forward holding the box.
"Nope," The guy says.
"Come on, man. Hook a brother up, please?" Rome asks going over the line.
"Nope. And you're not my brother," The guy says.
"Brother from another mother?" Rome asks.
"Look! No one enters the facility but authorized evidence personnel. Now stop wasting my time. I'm going to call the embassy." The guy says annoyed. I push Rome out of the way and start talking before he picks the phone up.

"No, no, no! No, we're good. We don't need to call them. For what? We're good. Here, I got the box," I say showing him the box before putting it through the drop off window. "We're all good. I promise you. Thank you so much for your time." We head towards the elevator.
"Swear to God, if you were on the other side of that glass I'd bust your damn face in. Now translate that." Rome says as we enter the elevator and I laugh. We reach the van where Tej and Brian are waiting.

"It's done," I say as we climb into the van.
"See, I think I make a better special agent than you ever did," Rome says to Brian. I sit in Brian's lap and Tej picks up a remote controller.
"Well, that depends on how you define 'special'," Brian says to Rome.
"Come on, now. Let's see what we got." Tej says.
"Not funny," Rome says to Brian and I smile.
"All right, come on," Tej says as the remote controlled car falls out of the box in the evidence room. Tej starts driving it while watching it on a TV screen.

"Dawg, you still can't drive," Rome says making Tej run into a shelf. "Now, I see why you're always getting into accidents. You can't even drive a damn remote control car."
"I'm going to need you to shut up right now," Tej says to Rome.
"I'm not going to shut up," Rome says.
"Shut up," I say to Rome.
"Strap him into his safety belt, man," Tej says.
"Give me the remote, dawg. Go left," Rome says and Tej goes left.
"It looks like something right over there to the left. What is that?" Brian says.
"What is that?" Rome asks.
"Bingo," Tej says as we are now looking at the vault.

"What is that, six-by-six?" Rome asks.
"Eight-by-twelve," Brian says and they are both wrong.
"Seven-by-twelve," I say and Tej grins.
"Yes, seven-by-twelve. Fitted with 18-inch thick steel reinforced walls with an insulated copper core to protect against thermal lance. A Class-3 electronic lock with a surefire Griffin retumbler and a biometric palm scanner," Tej explains.
"Ten tons of top-of-the-line security," I say as both Tej and I smile at Brian and Rome's faces.
"Do I want to know how you know all that?" Brian asks.
"We knew each other before even met you," I say to Brian.
"I had a life before you knew me, O'Conner. Let's just leave it at that, all right?" Tej explains. I smile at the memory. I just happened to be in the wrong bank at the wrong time and a newbie agent at that. "She is a beauty, though, man."
"A 'beauty' as in "good"?" Rome asks.
"'Beauty' as in she's going to start off playing hard to get. Then, no matter how much I caress her, no matter how much I love her, in the end, she still ain't going to give up that ass," Tej says and we all laugh.