27

(Brian P.O.V.)

I bring David Park in. I put him in an interrogation room.
"O'Conner! O'Conner! If you ever release witnesses of mine again...." Stasiak says walking towards me. I hit him in the nose breaking it.
"That's enough!" The chief says.
"Don't touch me! I'm fine!" Stasiak says when people try to help him up.
"Stasiak, go get yourself cleaned up," The chief says.
"What? He hit me first! You...." Stasiak starts.
"This isn't the Cub Scouts! Now, go on! You're bleeding on my floor," The chief orders. The chief and I start walking to the conference room.
"O'Connor, do you know the difference between a cop and a criminal?" The chief asks.
"What?" I ask.
"One bad judgment call. Keep your shit in line son," The chief answers and we enter the conference room. "Take a seat. Good news, We have Intel that Braga's number two, Ramon Campos, will hold a street race in Korea town tomorrow night to fill a slot on his team. They've already chosen three drivers from previous races. Our newest informant, Mr. David Park, has been kind enough to get us into the race. O'Connor, you're up."
"Let me guess, the winner gets the slot," I say. Trinh and I walk over to the big screen so I can look at the cars.
"All right, so these are all the imports the city has in impound," Trinh says.
"Okay, nice," I say.
"Pick your poison," Trinh says.
"All right, 2206. I crashed one of those," I say and I pick out two more.
"Okay, so which one do you want?" Trinh asks.
"I want them all," I answer. We get the cars and I head to the garage. I almost finish the car when an agent comes in.
"Standard issue tracking device. Boss wants to know where you are at all times," He explains handing me the tracking device. I finish the car and pop open a can of NOS energy drink.

(August P.O.V.)

Dom and I finish our cars for tonight. We each pop open a Corona.
"Salute," We say knocking our beers together. Dom left before I did. I arrive at the same time Brian does. I get out and rest against my hood watching Brian. He starts sizing up a guy standing in front of a Mustang.
"Hey! What are you looking at, nut sack?" The guy asks Brian.
"I don't know. You tell me," Brian answers. A lady walks up to me.
"You one of Park's?" She asks me and I nod my head and she motions for me to follow her. Which leads me over to where Brian is.
"The racer wants what Dwight's got. See, but, Dwight's already on the team. You got to be fast if you want to drive for Braga," Dwight says.
"Is there a problem here?" The lady asks them.
"No," Dwight answers.
"You one of Park's guys, Blondie?" She asks Brian.
"Yeah. Yeah, I am," Brian says looking at me for a second then back at her.
"Follow me," she says. Brian and I follow her into an elevator. When we get off the elevator the other racers are waiting. There is a guy hitting golf balls off the balcony and another encouraging him.
"You all know why you're here. Good drivers are a dime a dozen. Man, every corner's got a chingadera tuner racing for pinks. That's not what Braga has got me looking for. Braga wants someone that would sell their abuelita to be behind the wheel. Someone that doesn't just drives their car, but push it and make it through places no one else would take it. Real drivers," Campos explains.
"So, what are we hauling?" Dom asks.
"For what Braga's paying, you don't need to know," Campos answers.
"You just said you wanted real drivers. A real driver knows exactly what's in his car," Dom explains.
"Mira, real driver, nobody's forcing you to race," The other guy says.
"You the boss? Or am I talking to the boss?" Dom asks.
"Do I look like a boss?" The guy asks.
"My job is to find the best drivers, period. Whoever wins the race gets the info. We cool?" Campos says.
"Yeah, we're cool," Dom says.
"No, we ain't cool, man. Why is there a girl racing? Who's closing these streets?" One of the racers questions pointing at me.
"She must be good or she wouldn't be here. And no one. That's the point," Campos answers. The lady leads us back down the elevator and hands us a GPS. We all line up to race. It's the guy that thinks I shouldn't be racing, some other guy, then me, then Dom, and then Brian.
"Please wait while directions are downloaded. Proceed to highlighted route. Ten, nine, eight, seven, six...." The GPS says.
"You sure you want to do this?" Dom asks Brian.
"A lot has changed," Brian answers.
"four...," GPS says.
"You're right," Dom says.
"three, two, one, go!" The GPS says and we're off. Dom's car pops a wheelie as we take off. I take the lead with Dom and Brian right behind me, then the other two. We turn a curve and a guy gets taken out by an oncoming car. Brian ends up on a different road. The guy that said that I shouldn't race keeps bumping into Dom. Dom pushes him into oncoming traffic and he wrecks. Brian comes back out of nowhere. I'm still in the lead and we're nearing the finish line. Dom hits his first NOS button trying to catch up with me. Brian hits both of his making him start to pass Dom and catch up with me. Dom clips Brian's back bumper making him spin out of control. Dom hits his second NOS button and catches up to me. We cross the finish line at the same time.
"Just like a Toretto," Dom says as we get out of our cars. Brian pulls up and gets out of his car angry.
"At least we know you can't beat me straight up," Brian says to Dom.
"I didn't know there were any rules," Dom says. Campos, the guy, and the lady walk up to me and Dom.
"Now that's what I call real driving," Campos says.
"No, that's bullshit, man!" Brian says.
"Go cry to your mama, eh?" Campos says. "You both work for Braga now. When the GPS calls, you follow." Campos and the guy walk off.
"Driver's license," The lady says to Dom and I. Dom and I look at each other with a small smirk playing on our lips.
"What driver's license?" Dom asks.
"Thumb. The print is for Campos," The lady says holding up a thumb scanner and I place my thumb down on it and it scans. She nods her and I start to walk to my car.
"August," Brian says walking up to me.
"What?" I ask when I reach my car opening the door.
"I want you to drop out. I thought I told you to stay away from Dom," Brian says.
"Brian, Dom is my brother and you don't turn your back on family even when they do. I believe I told you that once before. Letty was my best friend and I know that this won't bring her back, but Dom feels the need to do this, so I'm going to be there right there helping him. And there is no stopping me, Brian," I explain.
"Yo, nut sack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying?" Dwight says taunting Brian.
"It doesn't matter the type of car. What matters is the driver and how they drive their car," I say getting into my car and heading home.

What matters is the driver and how they drive their car," I say getting into my car and heading home

(Brian P.O.V.)

I find out where Dwight lives then I take a team with me and bust in his house. The team arrests him and I plant some cocaine. Since Dwight got busted, I was allowed to fill his spot for Braga.

(August P.O.V.)

Dom and I were checking on our cars when the GPS informed us to go to some club. Dom and I get there and head straight for the bar. On the way to the bar, I see Brian playing pool. Typical Brian always finding a way in.
"Corona," Dom and I say at the same time as we sit down.
"That's too bad about Dwight. Having Feds raid your house the same night you make the team. So unfortunate," Brian says sitting down beside me.
"I wish I could say I was surprised to see you here," I say taking a drink of my Corona.
"What's to stop someone from telling them you're a cop?" Dom asks Brian.
"Probably the same thing that's keeping me from telling them why you both are really here," Brian says and we all take a drink from our beers.
"What up, fellows and lady?" Campos says coming up behind us.
"Hey, how you doing?" Brian asks him.
"Great. You having a good time?" Campos asks.
"Yeah, a great time," I answer.
"Come on, let's have a better time," Campos says leading us to a VIP section.
"How's your car? It took a nasty bump," Campos asks Brian as we sit down. I sit by Dom and Brian sits across from us.
"It'll be ready," Brian answers.
"I also heard you just got out of County," Campos says to Brian.
"Yeah," Brian says.
"You know a guy named Jim Garcia?" Campos asks Brian.
"Nah. Big place. Lots of names, lots of faces," Brian answers.
"And you two are brother and sister?" Campos asks and Dom and I nod our heads. "But you, you're wanted by a lot of people, homes." He points at Dom.
"Yeah, that kind of heat can't be good for business," Brian says.
"Yeah, well, that depends on how you look at things. I go down, I do time. I do real time," Dom explains.
"I don't know about your other drivers, but when we see flashing lights in our mirrors, we don't stop," I say while shooting a glance at Brian.
"Do you know each other?" Campos asks us.
"He used to date our sister," Dom answers.
"I see. You're a lucky man," Campos says to Brian.
"How's that?" Brian asks.
"You're still breathing," Campos answers. Campos hands us each a shot. "To the ladies and men we've loved and the ladies and men we've lost." We clink glasses and drink our shots.

" We clink glasses and drink our shots