Red vs Agatha, Part 2

The two pokemon rushed toward each other, the cheering getting loud enough to get to Red's head.

"Haunter, Confuse Ray!"

"SAND ATTACK, JOLTEON!"

Before it could kick up sand, a blast of light sent Jolteon into a daze, almost hitting itself with its own paws.

"Hypnosis, Haunter!"

The confused Jolteon didn't stand a chance- it immediately slumped forward into a deep slumber. The crowd cheered louder, almost like Giovanni orchestrated them on.

Red didn't even hear Agatha's commands as Haunter sucked up Jolteon's dreams multiple times. The electric dog's outer currents slowed down to sparks on the pokemon's fur.

"Jolteon is unable to battle! Haunter wins the round!"

He tipped his hat forward again as Jolteon returned into the pokeball.

He looked towards his belt and picked out his next champion. He twisted his cap backward and tossed the ball into the air. The crowd watched as it exploded into a charging pony with fire across its body.

"Ponyta vs Haunter! Begin!"

The horse charged forward, spewing embers from its mouth towards the sly ghost. After evading most of the attack, another burst of a confuse ray sent Ponyta thrashing about.

The audience mocked and laughed as Ponyta smacked itself with its own hooves.

"Haunter, send this Ponyta running!"

With another hypnosis and another set of dream eaters, Ponyta lay asleep on the clay floor, just the same as Jolteon.

No...

It can't end like this. Not again.

"GET UP PONYTA! GET UP!"

The pony's eyes fidgeted, giving a bit of hope, but one last dream eater sent the horse's mane to lose color on its fire and its body slumping sideways.

"Ponyta is unable to battle! Haunter wins again!"

Only three left...

Red couldn't even hear himself think anymore.

All he cared about was taking down that Haunter. But at what cost? Better yet, what cost did he have left?

After gathering in his fallen fighter, Poliwhirl stepped onto the stage.

Delia turned to Ray in the stands as they watched Red's shoulders slump.

"Oh, no. Red..."

"Ray, the cheers are getting to him."

The two trainers watched as the energy from the stadium drained their friend.

"Poliwhirl, WATER GUN then BUBBLE!"

Agatha watched as Haunter sustained multiple blows of water and bubbles.

"You think a bit of water is going to stop us, boy?!"

"HYPNOSIS!"

Red screamed that as loud as he could as Poliwhirl sent Haunter into a shocked sleep.

"Hit it again! Bubble! Water gun!"

Another barrage of water-based attacks sent Haunter careening into the opposite wall and melt into a pile of primordial ooze. The audience silenced as Agatha noiselessly watched the referee show the signal.

"Haunter is unable to battle! Poliwhirl wins!"

He could hear Ray and Delia cheer from the sideline.

Finally, he could hear himself think again. He welcomed his Poliwhirl with open arms, more grateful than happy.

As trainer and pokemon looked up to see Agatha's massive Arbok rise out of its pokeball, they knew that whatever happened next would change everything.