Round 2

For all he knew, this was a different Gyarados, but it looked so familiar. Then again, he had only seen coincidences like that in fairy tales. Instead, he turned his attention to the task at hand: how on Gemini was he going to beat a full-grown Gyarados with a Snorlax?

Before he could make up a strategy, Blue called for the beginning of the round and commanded Gyarados with a cunning on his lips.

"Gyarados, bite attack!"

Immediately, Gyarados lunged forward and gripped Snorlax in its mighty jaws. Red could have sworn he heard a crunch. Some of the spectators winced loudly as Snorlax wildly flailed its arms in vain.

"Snorlax, fury swipe all over it's head!"

Snorlax obeyed, swiping its claws at Gyarados' head. By some crazy circumstance, one of its claws struck true, landing on Gyarados' eye. The sea monster roared in pain as its grip weakened on the massive creature. But it wasn't done yet.

"Snorlax, whatever you just did, do it again!"

The same process happened again, Snorlax's claw landing near Gyarados' eye. It didn't take long before Gyarados let Snorlax go entirely, freeing it to stumble away. As Gyarados looked back for commands, its tail rubbing the scratch marks near its eye, Red knew just what to do; never let it lunge again.

"Snorlax, keep it within arms length! Double-Edge attack!"

Before Blue could give a command, Snorlax bound towards Gyarados, its massive weight shaking the ground. The blue-scaled monster watched in horror as the massive beast beat down on it with a constant barrage of claw and solid muscle. By the time the sea serpent escaped from Snorlax's grip, it had been severely injured and left its opponent with the hope of winning.

I can actually do this. I can actually win for once! Let's do this!

"Snorlax, don't let it get away! Double-Edge attack!"

"GYARADOS, THAT'S IT! HYPER BEAM!"

HYPER BEAM?! How high of a level IS that thing?!

A massive beam of energy exploded out of  Gyarados' mouth, sending Snorlax flying backwards. The crowd hushed in shock and awe of the massive beast's power as Snorlax got up and shook the dizziness away.

Red knew that it was now or never. Snorlax was pushed too far to attack Gyarados head on, but on the other hand, Snorlax was now an easy target.

"Gyarados, HYPER BEAM!!"

Red knew what comes next...

Wait...

Doesn't a Pokemon have to recharge before it can use it again?

Gyarados tried to expel more energy, but it instead writhed about in pain.

It might work...

"Snorlax... DOUBLE-EDGE NOW!"

He heard murmurs drown away with the massive stomps of his beloved Snorlax, in a last second effort to take down Gyarados before another Hyper Beam would knock it out. With such a powerful move, every second counts.

He knew he needed a backup option, and it came to him in those heart-stopping seconds.

"GYARADOS, HYPER BEAM!"

"SNORLAX, DIVE AND BODY SLAM!"

The sea snake opened its mouth and let loose a massive hyper beam, a wave of energy with the equivalent of a brick wall thrown to someone's face...before Snorlax dove away to safety and lunged with all of its might at Gyarados.

It saw the massive Pokemon barreling towards it in the corner of its vision, but there was nothing it could do. The sea monster was hit in the face with two massive arms and 1,000 pounds of Snorlax.

For the second time that day, a Snorlax crawled off of a fainted Pokemon, the Gyarados laying in a heap in a small crater on the ground. Both Professors knew to leave the moment the battle was over, as they had important business to care to.

Gyarados is unable to battle...

"Gyarados is unable to battle," Blue mumbled.

Red's face grew into a smile for the first time at the academy.

"Snorlax..."

Red relished this moment.

"Is..."

The wave of hatred rose up in him again. He had shown up the boy who called him a smut, so he stormed across the battle field, where his Snorlax gained its composure, and marched straight up to his opponent.

"Say it."

"What, you smut?"

"SAY IT." He had been waiting for this moment before the battle began. He fought like he had everything to lose, and now he was going to get his reward.

"SAY WHO WON."

"Snorlax wins."

"WHO IS ITS TRAINER?!"

"You, okay?"

He stared up at his snarky opponent, too full of himself to even concede defeat.

"SAY MY NAME. SAY I WON."

Blue rolled his eyes at his smaller opponent.

"Red wins, okay?"

He pointed up at his face with a dirtied finger, one that spent the morning picking fruit, the afternoon winning his first match.

"AND DON'T YOU EVER FORGET THAT, YOU STUCK UP PRICK!"

He turned away almost immediately, with fresh new air in his lungs, as he called out to his new companion.

"SNORLAX, RETURN!"

The exhausted Pokemon did so almost immediately, disappearing in a ball of red energy into its comfortable ball. However, as Blue was surrounded by his other friends, he taunted his new victim.

"You may have been the winner this time Red, but you'll never leave this place, you hear me? You came here to die. Welcome to Hell, Red. Enjoy your stay."

Red stopped to turn to the boy atop of the hill, surrounded by his friends, now his new enemies.

He looked down at his pokeball, now housing a winner inside, and he didn't look back. All he did was smile and leave with a head held high and a familiar girl rushing towards him.