Orientation

The car sped through the countryside, covered by a cloudless sky and the bright morning  sun. Red never got to see the world speed by like this. The boy was glued to the window as he sat in the backseat, his duffel bags packed in the trunk of Professor Oak's sedan. He saw a flock of Spearow fly near the trees and could've sworn he saw a mankey climbing a tree as they passed through Vermillion City.

"We're almost there Red. Don't get too distracted."

He learned from his parents to reply with "Yes Sir."

"The first thing you will do is get your room number. After you bring your stuff into it, you will be given a small introduction of the school and be given your first primer."

"Excuse me Sir, but what's a primer?"

He could see the Professors bright blue eyes through the rearview mirror. "Your first pokemon."

My first POKEMON?! He couldn't believe that he could be more excited than he was already.

The car slowed down near a patch of tall hedges and turned into an archway barely visible from the side. To Red's overwhelmed eyes, a huge palace opened up in front of him.

The beige stone, red roofs and blue tinted windows caught the sun's rays and glowed across the entire campus, covered with meticulously trimmed hedges and trees; some were even in shapes of majestic- looking pokemon, like Arcanines, Tauros and Gyarados, in battle positions. The car hovered over the neatly swept dirt driveway as it parked right in front of the huge wooden doors, covered in shining gems that looked like colored pokeballs.

Red got out with the Professor as another person gathered his things and brought them in. He wasn't used to such service, as he was his mother's servant since he was able to lift a bag of groceries.

The lobby looked so pristine, with marble floors and white walls covered in abstract art and pictures of alumni mid-battle, lit by sun-lights reflecting off of a fancy chandelier. The secretary was covered by the big black countertop. The Professor was right behind him when he drew her attention away from the huge screen in front of her..

"Natasha, we have a new student. Mr. Satoshi Tajiri"

"Oh! Yes Professor. Mr. Tajiri from-?"

Red felt inclined to answer for her.

"Celadon City, maam."

Professor Oak lightly jabbed at him with his elbow.

"Red, only speak when spoken to at this institution." He sounded much sterner than before, taking Red completely off guard.

"You are in a Pokemon Academy, not just an ordinary school. We have rules here."

Red blushed in the face as he turned towards the ground. It was just he was so excited...

"I must leave now to take care of some other matters. From here on out, I'm not your friend, I'm your Headmaster. I do not mean that to sound threatening. I mean that in the way that you may visit me only on appointment. Do not seek out my favoritism. The only way you could do that is to become an extraordinary trainer.  Any other flattery will not work. Try to cut any corners and you will fail. Training is the hardest part. The hours will be long. There will be times when you might want to give up. But that's where you could find the power inside. I hope you find yours, and I hope you catch my attention again."

He walked away from him into the room next to the secretary's desk, leaving Red alone for the first time in his life.

The noise from behind the desk snapped him out of his daze. She blazed across her keyboard, loudly typing words as she printed out papers and put a fancy looking red device into a bigger slot on the computer. A couple more beeps and bops were all that came from it and then stopped, sounding a ding and then coughing it up a few inches. Then she gave it to him with a packet and a small key.

"Here's your room key, instruction papers and your Pokedex. That device is irreplacable, so don't lose it. Please turn it on so that you can start your orientation. The room your in is occupied by a level black trainer, so try to learn from him as much as possible. It would be in the West Wing. Once you are settled, please make your way to the testing room down that hallway-" she pointed in the opposite direction- "where your academic level will be placed. Be on time to that. Dexter will tell you the rest."

As he turned towards the west wing, he asked- "Who's Dexter?"

She gave him a warm smile before returning to the screen. "That's the name of the voice on the Pokedex. Good luck!"

He slowly walked down the hall as he pressed the tiny power button on the red device. It popped open in his hands and vibrated to life.

"Hello _Satoshi_ Tajiri_ and welcome to the Pokemon Academy..."