Faceoff! Ray versus Red

Three trainers raced each other to the hills, the sun turning towards the horizon. Other trainers preoccupied themselves with other battles and classes to notice the girl with fiery pigtails, the tall and lanky boy, and a smaller hat-wearing child faced each other atop a hill.

"Well, Raymond. How do you propose we train?"

"I was going to battle Red, but since you're here, I'm not sure how you'd fit in. We can't battle three-way."

Red chimed in. "Maybe we battle each other, one Pokemon each. We each have six Pokemon apiece right? So why not battle each other person using one of our Pokemon?"

Delia's eyebrow arched as Ray smiled.

"Good idea! What does the winner get?"

"Dinner for a week?"

"Deal!"

"I'll go first. I want to try my hands on your Snorlax, Reddy boy!'

"You're on!"

"Hey! I want to battle first!"

"Okay. Now about we flip a coin. Anyone have one?"

They each turned their pockets out, with only lint falling to the floor.

"How about we flip...hmm a pokemon with two distinct sides...how about Squirtle?"

"Huh?!"

"We flip my Squirtle. The belly is "heads", the back is "tails".Which ever side is called gets to fight me."

"HOLD ON! Who says you get to battle first?!"

"Well, it is my Squirtle after all."

"Good point. When do I call it?"

"In midair. Ready, Delia?"

"Yep."

"Then let's go! SQUIRTLE, land on any side you want!"

Ray launched the Pokeball into the air, while Delia called a side. The blue turtle flopped joyfully onto the ground, mocking the given command.

"Heads! You called tails! That means Red gets to battle me!"

"Hey! No fair! Your Pokemon knew to flop the opposite way!...SOMEHOW."

"Ray, I'm still game for a battle. Delia, will you officiate?"

"Hmmmpf... okay fine. At least I get to see you battle. Trainers, send out your stupid Pokemon."

Red sent out his loyal blob of a Snorlax, a fist gripped with a thumb out greeted him. Squirtle hopped up at the ready.

"Let the battle begin, I guess."

"Squirtle, use tail whip!"

Squirtle's tail disoriented Snorlax, lowering its defense.

"Snorlax, Amnesia!"

As Snorlax abided and powered itself up, Ray chose his moves excitedly.

"Squirtle, use Bubble swirl!"

Squirtle leapt into action, circling Snorlax with a barrage of bubbles, moving as fast as a tackle attack.

Snorlax felt the brunt of a thousand bubbles smacking its body.

Red took only a second to figure something out.

Squirtle is much faster than Snorlax. He's playing keep-away so that he won't come near enough to feel double-edge. One attack and it's done...

"Snorlax, send some thunderbolts flying!"

It scared the tiny turtle away with a barrage of lightning bolts. As it retreated back to its trainer, Ray greeted it with a smile. Delia's attention settled fully on the battle, instead of the Fearow flying overhead.

"Now we can have some fun. Water basher, now!"

Squirtle returned to Snorlax in a spinning shell, sending torrents of hydro pumps and skull bashes across its opponent. Even Red winced, but not before responding.

"More thunderbolts!"

Snorlax's arms shot out thunderbolts in all directions, nearly hitting Squirtle. As Squirtle returned, Red called out to his champion.

"WATER GUN!"

Squirtle obliged, sending a shot of water towards the pokemon...

Which gave Red enough information to know where it was.

"Thunderbolt!"

Snorlax shot out another thunderbolt, this time to Squirtle's location. The results were rather...shocking.

Squirtle spun backwards, stopping at Ray's feet with its legs twitching, its eyes spinning clockwise.

"Squirtle is...unable to battle?"

Delia took the official instrument of pokemon's willingness to battle. After poking it with a stick, she came to her authoritive conclusion.

"Yep, it fainted. Point goes to RED!"

The little boy pounded a fist as he returned his snorlax. He walked over to Ray as he called Squirtle into his own pokeball.

"Hey, nice battle! I guess I should've kept moving."

"You too! Delia, I guess it's your turn to battle me."

"Don't get cocky, kid. These are just "play" battles, nowhere near what the others are capable of, like Koga or Giovanni. I'll pretend I'm one of them now."

"Oh, for Gemini's sake! YOU shouldn't be the one too cocky, Delia!"

"Can it, Ray. I'm about to remind you of what it feels like to fight one of them."

She popped open her proudest Pokemon, a three-foot tall Bellsprout.

"Get your Ivysaur ready, Red!"

A three-foot tall dinosaur stood by his side as a smile perched at the corner of his mouth.

"Ray, officiate!"

"Y-yes, Maam."

Ray immediately ran in between the two trainers.

"Let the battle between-"

"AHEM."

"Right-right, um, trainers! Are you ready?"

Ray watched Delia as she nodded. Red's head barely moved.

"Then let the battle begin!!"