Valeriya Petrova

They board the plane to LA and Josh is thoroughly excited. He loves to travel and he's not yet been to California. Kelly is everything: apprehensive, scared, exhilarated, a little nauseous. She's also wearing her wedding ring, as Jared insisted.

It's early afternoon when they land in LA and are taken to Jared's house/compound. Kelly is quite interested to see this famous former military compound she's read so much about. 

Wikipedia describes it as:

"Lookout Mountain Air Force Station (LMAFS) is a Formerly Used Defense Site which today is a private residence of actor Jared Leto in the Laurel Canyon neighborhood of Los Angeles, California. The USAF military installation produced motion pictures and still photographs for the United States Department of Defense and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) from 1947–1969.

The 100,000 sq ft (9,300m) facility was built on 2.5 acres in 1941 as a World War II air defense center to coordinate Los Angeles area radar installations. When the studio was established in 1947, its purpose was kept secret. The studio consisted of one large sound stage, a film laboratory, two screening rooms, four editing rooms, an animation and still photo department, a sound mixing studio, and numerous climate-controlled film vaults. Using the latest equipment, the studio could process both 35mm and 16mm color motion picture film as well as black and white and color still photographs. It was declared Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument number 1098 in 2015."

Jared gives them a very brief tour. Jared and Josh seem to have the same blasé attitude about the place but Kelly can't believe her eyes. She can't take enough of it in during the short tour. There were normal things like a pool and a, well, that was probably the only normal thing she noticed. The first hallway they walk down really sparks her interest. It is three times wider than a normal hallway and is concrete from floor to ceiling. She can imagine herself roller skating up and down, and around the corners, into large empty rooms, and then back again. She's disappointed she did not bring her skates.

In general, though, the layout of the place was confusing, and a little scary. Some rooms and bedrooms had multiple entrances and exits, and some with only one way in or out. Some bedrooms were fancy, smartly decorated, and large. Some were plain and small. Some hallways seemed to lead nowhere, and some ended in solid darkness. Sometimes the only way you knew you were in another room or part of the compound was by the change in flooring. Some areas had tile, some had marble, some hardwood, and some were concrete. There was a space so large and empty it could be an airplane hangar, which Jared used for band practice (among other things.) There were so many odd and eerie things cooped up in there, Kelly couldn't take everything in at once. This thing isn't even a house. It's an entity. She anticipates exploring in more detail the first chance she gets.

After the brief tour, Emma relieves them of their baggage. Jared makes sure Kelly has all her camera equipment with her, though. He introduces them to most of his staff and employees (there must have been at least 25 of them) and he introduces them to Stevie and Shannon. Stevie was the hired helper of the band, so to speak. He filled in wherever they needed an extra musician. He also worked with many other bands so his time was usually in short supply.

That evening, Jared invites Josh to play with Thirty Seconds To Mars who have started practicing for the upcoming tour. While Jared had already told everyone Josh was in the band, he had not officially, or even unofficially, mentioned a single word about it to Josh. Mostly because he wanted Josh to feel comfortable and think he was a legit choice for the band. He was indeed a legit choice, he was the best choice, but Jared had committed to the plan long before he discovered that.