No Turning Back

It was the band's first full-scale tour since the start of the pandemic and it had been even longer since they toured the States. The new single had been released and it shot straight to the top of the charts. Unsold tickets previously were selling out in record time. This was going to be a tour to remember.

While the virus was still a threat, and the pandemic was not technically over, things had been looking up albeit masks were still required at most indoor events in most states. Kelly, Josh, and the rest of the band and crew were required to keep their vaccination records with them at all times. Fortunately, it wasn't as much of a pain now that a QR code replaced the flimsy, odd-sized paper rectangle that had originally been issued.

The morning they are set to leave for the tour, Kelly's anxiety is at 100. An hour before departure, everyone is still shuffling around, packing last-minute items and rechecking lists. Kelly unexpectedly runs into Constance in the hallway, almost literally. She panics internally; she senses that running into her is not a coincidence.  

Constance extends her arms and pulls her into a hug. "Oh, my dear Kelly." She releases her from the hug but holds onto her. She smiles and looks Kelly directly in the eye. "You guys will have a wonderful time. Jared will take care of you and Josh. Nothing to be nervous about." 

"Thanks," Kelly responds in a shaky voice, unable to maintain eye contact with Constance. She doesn't know what else to say. She closes her eyes, cringing on the inside, as she walks back to Jared's room. She knows Constance knows. There was no fooling her, and you'd better not even try.

In Jared's room, Josh and Jared are ready to go. Kelly stuffs one last thing into her suitcase as Jared gives them another rundown of what to expect on tour. He knows it's going to be a huge change and adjustment for them both. It will be like nothing they have ever experienced or even dreamed of.

Kelly's eyes widen when he tells her the tour bus fits 16 people. She's never lived in a small space with that many people before. "Don't worry, you know most of them already," Jared laughs at the horror on her face. "The look of terror on your face right now, Kelly! Ok, ok, I'll stop! I'm kidding. We have three tour busses and there will only be five of us on our bus."

Ugh, Kelly groans to herself. For sure Shayla would be one of the five.

"So me, you, Josh, Emma, and Shayla?"

"Yes, but not for the first month. I want to put Josh on Shannon's bus for the first month. I think it's important for Josh. He needs, you know, other guys around and to experience tour band-type stuff." Kelly cocks an eyebrow. "Not groupie stuff. Tara is traveling with Shannon." 

Jared waits until Josh grabs his suitcase and follows Shayla out to the waiting busses. After a moment he adds, "And to be honest, Kelly, I just want you to my fucking self for a minute. I hope that you will agree to this arrangement. If not, I can move Josh to our bus. It's not too late."

"I guess it's really up to Josh then."

Jared smiles. Being honest with her was so much easier than being sneaky and it blowing up in his face. He had gone to great lengths to finagle an extra tour bus as they usually only traveled with two. 

"Well, let's go then," he says to her.

Kelly takes one last look at Jared's room and one last look at the house as she is leaving. She will miss this weird yet wonderful place. She's not certain she will see it again.

As they walk through the compound Jared stops her in the hallway. He grabs her into a hug. "I've never been so excited to go on a tour. And, believe me, I'm pretty excited about them." He looks down at her, "I can't wait for you to experience this with me."