Shopping With Val

Kelly soaks in the bath until the water turns cold. She showers off and gets dressed. She decides to dress a little more modestly since Constance is here. She knew Jared liked when she wore a dress but she figures she isn't even going to see him until very late at night so it won't matter. 

She shyly enters the kitchen where Constance is making sure Josh is well fed and caught up on all the family gossip. "Sweetheart!" She exclaims when she sees Kelly. "I thought you weren't feeling well, I was just about to send Shayla up there to bring you a little something."

Shayla plops down the tray with a thud. "Great, now I can get back to work," she can't leave the kitchen fast enough.

"Sit, sweetheart." She brings the tray over to her. A nice fragrant cup of ginger tea with local organic honey, and a bowl of bone broth. "I wasn't trying to starve you again," she laughs, "I was just concerned about you not feeling well. This is wonderful for anything that ails you. But if you'd like something else instead, I am more than happy to make you something else."

"No, thank you, Constance. It's just what I need," she smiles up at Constance who gives her an affectionate squeeze. 

"I was just telling Josh how I felt bad about last time. Jared's girlfriends are always watching their weight, they all eat like birds."

Kelly freezes with the spoon halfway to her mouth. She feels like the wind has been knocked out of her. Her eyes dart over to Josh. 

He has a goofy smile on his face, "Not Kelly, she loves to eat!" They both giggle at each other. 

Suddenly, Kelly is unsure of what she should be upset about. Did Constance just imply that she is Jared's girlfriend? And Josh definitely just said something about her eating too much. Or that's how it all sounded to her. Maybe she is just too damned stoned to deal with any of this right now.

 "Sweetheart, you look stressed," Constance says to her as she piles a second helping of fried potatoes onto Josh's plate. "Why don't you finish, then go upstairs to take a nap." 

"Yeah, that sounds like a great idea," she tries to nonchalantly smooth over her anxiety. Does she know we're sleeping in Jared's room? 

"As for Josh," she says pinching his cheek, "I've got a masseuse coming for you. You're so tense from that plane ride," she rubs his back in a motherly, concerned way. "Gotta keep the back healthy."

"Thanks, Ma," he responds gratefully. He is eating up the mother routine from Constance. She's the closest thing to a mother that he's had since he was a toddler. It makes Kelly feel relieved and very happy for Josh to be treated this way. She chokes back tears once more. 

Kelly climbs up the stairs, her feet heavy. She starts to think maybe she will take a nap, she felt drained. She goes into the bathroom and splashes her face with cold water. When she comes out of the bathroom she is startled to see Valeriya in the room, smelling the roses on the table.

"Hi!" She exclaims enthusiastically. "Uh-oh," she immediately detects Kelly's low energy. She goes over to the cabinet and selects a Wake joint for her. "You need this, now." She hands it to her with a lighter. "Jared wants me to take you shopping but he did not want me to tell you that he asked me to take you shopping. He wants to buy you a bunch of dresses he can rip off of you."

"He said that?!" Kelly is irritated.

"No, he didn't say that. But that's what he wants." 

"Oh." She's suddenly starting to feel the effects of the joint after only two hits. She feels awake and focused. Shopping didn't sound too bad after all.