Take another little piece of my heart

When Gabriel returned from the bathroom, she was lying on her back, staring at the ceiling. She took a short glimpse at him, to then turn her head while her face blushed deeply.

He was only wearing a pair of boxers and she couldn't not notice, that despite his grey hair and the wrinkles around his eyes, his body was in a rather good shape.

"Everything alright?", he asked when he placed himself on top of the duvet, his back resting against the bed frame, so he was in a sitting position, while his legs were stretched out on the mattress.

Nathalie nodded, still not facing him.

"Are you sure?", he looked worried and laid his hand on her forearm, making her flinch. But she quickly relaxed again, and started with her story, while she was all the time aware of the heat his hand radiated.

She told him about her childhood, about the times, she had spend with different family members until she was eventually old enough, to start a life of her own, because for nothing in the world would she have considered to go and live with her father who had driven her mum to killing herself.

"I hurried into a relationship, hoping to find something there, but that guy was the same as my father, only thinking of his own well being, always trying to make me do things I wasn't comfortable with, threatening me, pushing me around. I just left one day, leaving everything behind. I didn't care, as long as I made it out of there alive. That was the morning after the second time he hit me and....you know...forced me to...do...things..."

Gabriel held his breath, as he tightened his grip around her arm. His voice was trembling, when he barely audible said:

"I still can't understand, what makes those men do things like that. It makes me feel sick, that you had to go through this at such a young age", he turned around to lay on his side, now watching her closely. Her eyes glistened, but she wasn't crying, she just told her story without any further emotions.

"After that, I tried to stand on my own feet. I finished my education, I found a job, that payed my bills, though it didn't leave much for extras but I could live off it. I had a couple of affairs, nothing serious, nothing that could bring me into a position like the one before. I sometimes sang in a Karaoke bar and there a certain producer asked me, if I would like to sing at his 'club' in New York City. Well, and that's how I got here. He tried to make me work for him in a different way with the things like how many songs I have to perform, to get paid, but I would rather starve then offer my body to those..."

She gagged, having trouble to keep the food down, when she thought about it. Now he could see tears on her cheeks.

Gabriel closed his eyes, not daring to ask but he despite his doubts did:

"Have you....did someone.....since you are here....have they....?", he stammered.

When the young singer closed her eyes and nodded, he felt his own heart break, and he wanted to cry with her. But he didn't. He just scooted a little closer and asked:

"Is it okay, if I put my arm around you?"

She nodded hesitantly. Gabriel laid his arm around her back and just pulled her towards him, holding her until her stiffened, tense body relaxed and she snaked an arm around his waist and accepted his comfort. He placed a soft kiss on top of her head, whispering:

"You are safe with me, love, don't be scared anymore. Just try to sleep, I'll protect you."

Sobbing Nathalie hugged him even harder, as if she could hide inside of him, the first person since her mum, who made her feel safe and protected. They drifted both off to sleep like this.