(33) Phone Call

Sorry for any mistakes I didn't reread just posting. 💃🏻

____________________

"No, no, absolutely not." Rayner argued the second he woke up the next morning and Beck filled him in on our plan while we ate breakfast. Rayner put down his food looking pissed that the idea of using me as bait was even an option. "She isn't getting put in that kind of danger there is absolutely not a chance. There's no way of assuring she's actually safe." Beck sighed shaking his head like he knew Rayner would react this way. "If I didn't think we could pull it off I wouldn't put her in the situation Ray you know that." I nibbled on my food pretending I wasn't still going all in regardless of Rayner's reluctance.

"This plan is reckless and unnecessary when there are a hundred other ways." Beck scratched his chin glaring at Rayner for being so stubborn. "We've exhausted all efforts, this is how this ends. I want this over yesterday, Tori already agreed anyway. You can get on board or you will be sent home." Beck threatened making Rayner seethe. His nostrils flared and he looked in my eyes with a pained expression. As if I were a traitor. "You're not giving me an actual choice here." Rayner breathed rubbing a clenched fist with his other hand. "You understand that once you're in we have no way of controlling what they do until we have enough evidence right?" Rayner was trying to talk me out of. I wasn't going to be afraid this time. It had to end.

"I'm aware of the risks." I told him, "I can do this Rayner." I was sure of it. Rayner's dark pained eyes bore into mine burning me alive. He shook his head no again ripping through his hair. "What'll it be Rayner? You can be in or out." Beck urged knowing Rayner would be in if I was in.

"It's gross how you're using her to end this faster. It's even grosser how you're using our relationship as a manipulation tactic to get me on board." Rayner told him standing to his feet with a wince. "Just tell me the plan." Rayner grumbled stumbling to the bathroom obviously upset and needing a minute to calm down.

"That went well." Beck smiled sarcastically. He opened his laptop and started typing away. I picked some more at my food then left to find Rayner in the bathroom. I found him leaning into the sink pinching the bridge of his nose. He stiffened when he sensed my presence. He grabbed me suddenly pulling me into a firm hug and I clutched him for dear life. Despite my false confidence I was actually terrified. The necessity for this all to be over was more prominent than my fear though.

"You don't have to do this." He breathed into my neck, "We can think of a new plan Tori. You don't have to be responsible for this." Rayner stated pulling away to look at me with his hands still on my waist. "I know that." I smiled sadly, "I'm not willing to take another chance the plan will fail. I know Beck's plan is fool proof." I lied actually not knowing if it would be successful. "It's not actually. It's the dumbest plan I've ever heard. Mostly because it involves putting you in unnecessary danger. As much as I respect him, he doesn't have your best interest at heart. You could die and he would still think he'd done the greater good if we got the bad guy. I'm not going to stand around letting you believe you're safe just because of a nicely pitched suicide mission." I sighed knowing I wasn't going to convince him any differently.

"Fine what's your plan then?" I humored him wondering if he could actually think of another plan. Rayner closed his eyes looking absolutely defeated. "Keep you safe somewhere else." I thought about how nice that sounded also knowing I couldn't run anymore. This had become too much and I needed the answers. I needed to put it to rest, put my parents to rest. Then there was the mystery that was Jackson, I needed to know just how deep in this he was. When he'd become a part of this scheme and why?

"I'm sorry, I just can't hide anymore." I told him tracing his jaw with my finger tips. "I love you always Rayner." He grabbed my hand squeezing it holding it in place against his cheek as if this were the last moment we'd have alone. It very well could be the last moment we had alone. Beck's plan would begin going into play very soon. "Please be careful. I can't lose you." He said through closed eyes, "I'll do what I can on my end despite my injuries, but you remember what I taught you?" I nodded remembering the self defense lessons. "Good." He nodded pushing himself back upright, "It won't be enough, but it makes me feel better." He kissed my forehead. "I gotta go sit down." He looked pale again and I knew his leg was bothering him.

We rested up a bit going over the plan with several other men in the small confines of the hotel rooms seated area. "Rayner?" Beck called to get his attention as he zoned out probably thinking of all the things that could go horribly wrong. "Sir?" He cleared his throat his jaw clenching and unclenching while he held his tongue knowing it would only get him kicked off the mission. "I want you here with this." He handed Rayner a device and handed me a dog tag necklace.

"What's this?" I asked recognizing just how similar the necklace was to the one Rayner had given me when we first met. "Listening device, tracking device, this specific one also has a camera." I jerked my head to Rayner who was blushing angrily, "Wait a second is the one I—?" He didn't look at me and I knew the dog tag necklace he'd given to me was now how he'd always kept track of me in the beginning. I felt like something I'd always seen as special between us was now a huge lie. I tried not to get too upset over it right when I was suppose to be leaving.

I didn't push and just put the necklace on making sure the camera was pointed out and Rayner could see on the laptop and hear with the device. "It's functioning properly." He said coldly not even looking at me. I knew we had much to discuss but it would have to wait. "Okay Tori, your move. Time to call Jackson." I nodded my head understanding it was go time. My fingers shook nervously hesitating over his name. I pressed it leaving it on speaker so everyone could hear.

"Hey Tor." He answered calmly and it was almost as if this couldn't be real. There was no way he'd get involved. How could he? "Hey Jack." I tried to sound calm and like I wasn't about to try and meet with him for ulterior purpose. "How's Kato?" I sighed trying to sound realistic and not as scared as I felt.

"He's stable, I can't thank you enough for getting him to the vet. I wanna go visit him but I really don't wanna go alone and Rayner is still down." I lied and didn't miss the way Rayner sneered obviously disliking this conversation. "Hey, well I'm done being harassed by the police. You want me to swing by the hospital and pick you up?" Beck mouthed for him to come here. "Actually the police put me up in a hotel across the street if you wanna grab me here. I'm bored out of my mind anyway. I'll buy you lunch?" I offered trying to make it as believable as possible. Beck gave me a thumbs up and I shocked myself at how good I was lying.

"Sounds good send the address I stole your car from the apartments hope you don't mind." I swallowed, "No, that's fine. See you in a bit." He said his goodbyes and hung up. I wasn't sure if he bought it or was suspicious but we were about to find out. I stood up throwing my phone on the bed pacing nervously feeling butterflies in my stomach. "Now what? What if he doesn't come?" Beck stood grabbing my shoulder holding me still.

"He will. Don't worry you did well Tori. Once you're in the car I already have two plants in the parking lot ready to follow you. We are going to get them." He promised. And a part of me hoped he was wrong. A part of me hoped Jackson was innocent in this. I wasn't confident in that, but I could always hope.