(17) She's Not Sweet

It was like the seven days of torture all over again only this time I knew there was no end. This time things were over and I wasn't sure when or if Rayner would ever return to me. I'd been a hot mess this last week happy that school was starting back next week and I'd have someplace to dedicate my time to other than at the country club where I watched as Jackson got his happily ever after with sweet little Serena. Tonight was their date and I mentally prepared myself to spend the night alone. That could absolutely happen. I had been having vivid nightmares these last few nights even with my sleeping pills. Jackson hadn't really been in to check on me and I didn't blame him for not wanting to lose anymore sleep than he did already but it kind of hurt. I felt like we'd been drifting apart this last week and I couldn't help but blame Serena. Even though she'd done absolutely nothing wrong. Neither of them had. I was just desperate for any attention I could receive.

I was currently crawled up in my bed watching sappy shows on Netflix trying not to feel sorry for myself. A gentle knock on the door interrupted me and I immediately attempted to cover up any sign of emotion. "Hey Tor." Jackson popped his head in the room his face falling at the sight of me. I wished I weren't so pathetic all of the time. I tried to perk myself up but it didn't matter he already knew I was still sulking the night away. "Don't you think you should go out this weekend?" I scoffed at the idea of me going anywhere tonight. "Why don't you come out with me and Serena tonight?" I rolled my eyes at his ridiculous invitation.

"And be a third wheel? No thank you." I declined annoyance dripping in my tone. "Come on Tori, I promise it won't be weird we are even going to a 18+ club, not Trinity so no worries there." I thought about the idea of conning some older boy to buy me drinks and thought what the hell. "Is it just going to be you two?" He shrugged and I suddenly sensed that maybe he'd misread the date situation. "She invited like three other people and changed the setting suddenly." He shook his head looking really disappointed, "I was not expecting this from her at all but I figure you should come out too if she's bringing friends I want to bring my friend." I nodded. "Okay but I have to get ready, I'll be quick I promise." I kept it pretty simple throwing on a tight black shirt that hung off both shoulders and a form fitting white skirt with some black sparkly booty heels. I let my hair fall in its wavy mess past my shoulders, and kept the make up to a minimum not having much time. I was ready in twenty minutes tops just as Serena was arriving. She was dressed in a flowy white top and gray skinny jeans making me instantly feel over dressed. I always over did these things and I blamed my mother.

Jackson greeted her with a quick kiss on the cheek and the second she saw me if looks could kill I would've been struck dead. "You're coming Tori?" She smiled and her voice sounded sweet but I knew better. "Yeah, you invited some people so I told her she could come." Jackson let out before I could mutter a word. She nodded her head taking a deep breath. "Great." She grinned but I could sense the tension in the air. I was definitely not hovering around her tonight I'd find my own crowd.

The second we were in the door she led us to a table of her friends there were more than even Jackson was expecting. I sat between a guy with hair down to his back and another guy who was very obviously playing for the other team. We immediately clicked and I was happy because I rarely clicked with anyone. I wasn't paying much attention to the other side of the table because I was quite involved in the new friend I'd made when I realized Serena was talking to me.

"So Tori the club was incredibly saddened to hear about your parents death." Jackson stared at her in awe, "I can't believe what you had to endure as well. I'm so happy you made it out of that one alive." I couldn't find any words I was just so shocked she'd come right out with that. I just nodded my head pushing all the memories to the back of my head. I couldn't let her get away with that.

"I sure am lucky. That's not usually the conversation starter I go with though." I retorted hoping she'd catch the hint that I would never be okay with that topic. The table was really tense now so I decided to make my escape. Jackson made eye contact apologizing for his date and I just offered him a smug smile. "Wanna dance?" I leaned over speaking to my flamboyant friend and the girl he'd clung to. He nodded enthusiastically as happy as I was to leave the table. We hit the floor and immediately caught some attention from a few older guys. They bought us some drinks and I was sure to watch the drinks the entire time afraid of being roofied again.

We'd downed a few shots and I was feeling loose as a goose having lots of fun finally able to forget Rayner troubles. I hadn't noticed Jackson sitting at the table alone staring at me intently a glass of dark liquor in his hand. I excused myself from the small group that had gathered around me whom protested but I had to check on Jackson. He sat up in his chair finishing off his drink not looking at me now.

"What's wrong? Where did Serena go?" He took another drink from one of the waitresses who obviously didn't care she was serving a minor. Jackson nodded his head in a direction across the club where Serena had her tongue down someone else's throat in a booth. My mouth flung open with shock and disbelief. "She was trying to make her ex boyfriend jealous." He explained taking another swig of his fresh beverage. I sat beside him unsure of how to comfort him. I rested my hand on his shoulder peeking over at him from under my lashes biting my bottom lip. "Stop looking at me like that. I'm fine." I nodded my head assuring him I knew he would be.

"You know she doesn't have to win..." He raised his eyebrow at me as if telling me to elaborate. I looked over and to my pleasure Serena was looking right at our compromising position. Jackson caught on following my gaze to a very pissed off Serena. "No Tori." He chuckled shaking his head. "I don't like playing games." I sighed annoyed he wouldn't let me help him. "You don't have to play games maybe just get a little revenge. That doesn't mean you have to pursue her anymore." He pinched his nose between his thumb and forefinger thinking for a minute. I stole one last glance at her snooty little face that was still looking at us.

"Oh what the hell." He downed his drink, slammed it on the table top, and grabbed my face with force kissing me with vigor. It only took me a moment to react against him. I'd forgotten what it felt like to be intimate with him and I didn't know how I'd forgotten those lips. He drew me nearer his mouth hungry for more of me and for a moment I forgot it was only for show. We kissed for a solid two minutes and then he pulled away suddenly once we were breathing heavy resting his forehead against mine. His eyes were incredibly playful and I was having trouble deciphering if we were still playing the game. "Is she still looking, I'm afraid to look." I giggled biting my lip like a school girl.

"Me too, but I'll look." I cautiously looked back at the direction of the booth she was sitting in and I didn't see her sitting there. "She's gone." We looked around and I saw her coming straight over to us. "Fuck here we go..." My stomach dipped feeling like I was about to get in trouble by my angry nanny. I braced myself to be slapped or have a drink poured over me but what came was almost worse.

"Jackson can I talk to you alone for a minute?" Jackson didn't turn to look at her, or even acknowledge that she was standing beside us. "Look I did something horrible to you to get what I wanted and I know that, but you shouldn't stoop to such low levels. You should have higher standards than a girl whose parents ruined lives." My heart ached at the second mention of my parents tonight. "I think you need to go now Serena." I found the words leave my lips before I could stop them. She looked guilty for saying such a terrible thing about my dead parents but didn't apologize. She stood staring me down for a minute longer gave one last longing look at Jackson and then stormed off to find her boyfriend.

"How did she turn out to be such a bitch?" Jackson hissed standing up grabbing his jacket off the back of his chair. I followed suit linking my arm with his shrugging my shoulders pretending her words hadn't hurt me. "What do you say we have some more fun for old times sake? Forget the heartache and just get shit faced." I grinned up at the old Jackson coming out for a good time. "You had me at shit faced." I was going to forget everything tonight.