(37) Coffee Shop Getaway

"She should be proud of what she did, not only for herself but for a much larger scale of people. She saved TEN other girls as well. Tori will be okay... after some therapy-" I heard a loud crash, I jumped in my skin clinging to my sweater taking a deep breath with closed eyes. I knew this wouldn't be the calm chat Beck promised Rayner it would be. Rayner had gone on a rampage after the raid. He'd impulsively quit his job, filed several law suits encouraging me to as well, and threatened the lives of a few though I'd deny it if anyone asked.

"THERAPY?! Really Beck? You don't see what she's like now! Therapy isn't going to fix SHIT. Those memories, the trauma, that's forever. I fucking KNEW I shouldn't have let her do that, and you shouldn't have ever suggested it to her without more precaution! I will never come back to this field of work, it's corrupt and to think we were ever helping people!" He chuckled sarcastically.

"We do help people Ray-" Beck started only to be cut off again. "But at what cost?! The fact that I would've defended you until the end makes my stomach roll. I hope you get what you all fucking deserve. I really do. Do not contact me again unless it's your lawyer contacting mine." Rayner finished shutting Beck's office door with so much force the blinds were still swinging. Rayner stalked his way toward the front desk slinging a stack of papers across the floor on his way over to where I was sitting. He snatched up my jacket from the empty bench beside me then held out a tender shaking hand as if he hadn't just been so aggressive and angry.

I could see his pulse throbbing through the veins in his arm. I took his hand carefully letting him pull me up and lead me toward the parking lot. He opened my car door and closed me in. Beck came out of no where jogging toward us and I saw Rayner's body had a visceral response. He visibly stiffened when Beck reached out a hand for Rayner to shake standing there staring at his outreached hand momentarily. Beck had hardly said three words when Rayner took me by surprise pulling his arm back and swinging his fist full force into Beck's jaw. My mouth hung open watching the scene unfold before me like a reality television show. I was shocked by what I was seeing.

Rayner punched him over and over, while Beck did not even try fighting back. I didn't want to intervene but when four police officers grabbed Rayner and threw him to the ground I went into protective mode. I flung myself out of the vehicle shouting for them to stop as I worried for Rayner's life realizing how serious this could be now that other officer's involved themselves with batons. Before I could even intervene an officer had me by the arm. "Don't touch her!" Rayner fumed shaking off the officers as Beck motioned for them to let him go. Rayner was up and by my side in seconds. He snatched me by my sleeve from the officer and led me to his car easing me back in slamming the door. No one said a word or made a move just watched Rayner get in the driver's seat and squeal his tires on the way out of the parking lot.

"Are you okay?" Rayner asked touching my arm making me flinch a mile. "I'm sorry can I touch your arm?" He twitched remembering how fucked up I was. I relaxed back into my seat leaning into the door nodding running my fingers through my hair. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have gone there I already knew and a part of me wanted to punch that guy. I want to do worse." He admitted and I shook my head irritated by him. I knew he was trying to protect me still, when all it was doing was stressing me the hell out. 

"Give it a rest Rayner." I sighed knowing exactly how he was going to react next. "Tori, I can't 'give it a rest.'" His voice was raised but he never yelled. "I won't stop until those fuckers burn for everything they're worth!" I sighed utterly exhausted, "Beck was already demoted! Do you want him to lose his job?" I asked already knowing he did. "I want him to lose his fucking house! I want him to live under a bridge and turn into a goddamn troll Tori. I don't know how you aren't angry."  I chewed on my thumb nail glaring out the window. I was angry, but after all I'd been through I realized that anger was useless. It was hope I didn't have anymore. I was done fighting, I needed to rest and he couldn't understand that I'd done enough fighting.