(13) What the Future Holds

"Jackson?" I called quietly setting my bag down at the front door. My car was parked in my spot so surely he was home. "Kato?" They must be out on a walk. The apartment was stunningly clean the hot pink Christmas tree still shining in the corner of the room with two presents beneath it. My heart warmed a little when I saw they had my name written across them. I dragged my bag into my bedroom starting a load of laundry immediately as to get that out of the way.

Ten minutes passed and I finally heard the front door open. "Tori? Are you home?" I hurriedly dumped the rest of the contents of my bag out on my unmade bed, Jackson had obviously been sleeping in, picking up the present I'd bought for him on our way back from Santa Barbara.

"Coming!" I called exiting my room. Kato ran at me full speed sniffing my clothes and licking my hands. It surprised me he hadn't jumped on me or knocked me down yet. "What did you do to my dog? Since when does he not push me over with his obnoxious jumping?" Jackson shrugged his smile reaching his eyes. He was abnormally happy considering he'd just spent Christmas alone.

"I happen to be very good with dogs thank you very much. We had a few lessons. He is actually incredibly smart just equally stubborn." He winked patting Kato's back side affectionately to which Kato responded to by flopping his tongue out happily. "We have missed you Tor." I smiled and hugged Jackson briefly then pulled his gift out from behind my back. "Oh, you really didn't have to! You've done so much for me already Tori." I saw the excitement on his face despite his attempts at protesting my gift.

"Nonsense here let's go in there." Jackson followed me to the living room and we sat opposite each other on separate couches. I watched with excited eyes as he unwrapped his gift slowly. His face went blank and I saw actual tears well in his eyes as he looked up at me with a huge smile I hadn't seen in the longest time. I'd organized him a ride in a light aircraft I'd caught the ad on a billboard and couldn't help myself.

"You... I... thank you." He grinned up at me and I drew him in for another hug. "I also want to help you get into a school for flying I figured we could talk to them about it. That is if that's still what you want to do Jackson?" He nodded his head vigorously holding the little airplane key chain I'd purchased to accompany his plane ride ticket. "Now I feel I should've gone first because there's no way mine will live up to yours." He flushed crimson and pinched the wetness from his face with one hand. "As long as you don't insist on me coming with you on the plane I will accept something as simple as an Applebees gift card." He just shook his head laughing at me. I don't think I will ever get over my fear of flying.

"Here it's not much all things considering but I wanted to be thoughtful." Rayner and I had decided on no Christmas presents so I was enjoying every second of this. "Open this one first." He handed me a small square package which was wrapped with care. I opened it carefully revealing the most gorgeous dream catcher I had ever seen. It was crescent moon shaped with pastel blue and light brown leather wrapping. Lavender, white and brown feathers cascaded down beautifully. It was so thoughtful of him and I was grateful to have such a great friend. "Do you like it?" He sounded insecure about his gift and my lack of words fueled his uncertainty. I nodded my head running my hands over it in awe.

"It is amazing Jackson. This is the best thing I have ever received. Honestly." I felt my own emotions welling inside of me thinking of the reasons I needed something like this. "Thank you." I had to stop myself before I got too deep in thought. "Whats this one?" I moved on, draping my dream catcher carefully along the backside of the couch.

"Well that one is mostly for me..." He scratched his head nervously and now I was extremely confused. I unwrapped the gift and inside was an ad for the apartments holiday special. Two bedroom apartments for the price of a one bedroom. My heart sank into my stomach. "I know its a lot to ask but I have never felt like I belonged anywhere until I met you Tori. I don't even feel like I have to be your boyfriend to feel complete. Being your friend is enough for me and I don't want to impose and of course I will pay for my share of the bills but I want to stay with you..." I suddenly felt very hot and like I needed to go out into the cold air so I could breathe.

How is it that the two men in my life have asked me the exact same question in such a short amount of time. "Can you give me a minute?" His face paled. "Don't worry so much Jack." I assured him kissing my hand and caressing his cheek affectionately brushing my thumb across his cheek before closing myself in my room so I could think without his persecuting eyes.

I couldn't give either of them a straight answer and I knew immediately that mean't I wasn't ready to live with Rayner again. I was still in school, I was an aspiring designer, I didn't know where my future would bring me, and I knew that Rayner already had his feet planted right here in Los Angeles. What happened if I decided to move to New York? Would he follow me?

Jackson would.

I dismissed the thought my ornery brain had concocted. I loved Rayner, Jackson was my best friend. I took a deep breath knowing what my decision was now. Jackson's head perked up at the sound of my bedroom door opening. "Jackson?" He waited for my answer. "Let's go to the office shall we?" His grin warmed his face once more and I immediately felt relief and I wasn't sure what that mean't for Rayner and I.