(16) Twisting the Knife

The sun shined into my bedroom the next morning and I felt surprisingly good considering the night I'd had. I sat up and Jackson was no longer here but the evidence he'd been here was still resting on the floor. I stood up and looked at myself horrified by who I saw in the mirror. I threw my hair up into a bun and washed all the makeup off my face brushing away the lingering alcohol and vomit taste from my mouth. I searched my closet for a pair of comfortable shorts discarding my ripped tights across the floor. I left my room just as Jackson was coming up with my dog. He had grown really close with Kato and I felt bad I hadn't been taking better care of him.

"She's alive." I glanced at the clock and saw it was almost two in the afternoon. I was highly embarrassed at the state I'd come home in last night and that was when it all had come flooding back to me. The alcohol, the party, the roofies, Rayner... "Wanna talk?" I nodded my head following him to the couch as he unclasped Kato from his leash. Kato plopped his big head in my lap and I was grateful for the comfort.

"Well," I sighed beginning to relay my night. "Rayner broke up with me, I was upset went to a party with some people from the bar, got roofied, weaseled my way out of a room with a very horny fraternity boy, passed out in the back of a stranger's car who kindly brought me home and then fell into your lap." I shrugged my palms face up looking much like an emoji. Jackson blinked at me incredulously.

"Hold on." He held a hand up and even I was having trouble believing my story. "Roofied? And Rayner what? Tori you're still drunk aren't you?" I shook my head drawing my knees in to my chest. "What drugs did you take Tori? I have never seen you like that it scared me." I rolled my eyes.

"Just the flunitrazepam 'sweetheart' slipped into a beer he force fed to me." Jackson was fuming now. "Why in the hell would Rayner leave you alone in the middle of a bar?" My heart sank thinking of Rayner now. I watched as he scrolled the contacts in his phone for Rayner's number no doubt.

"He didn't." Jackson's head snapped back to me listening intently. "He tried to take me home but I ran away from him and didn't answer his calls. Go look at my phone if you don't believe me it probably has like eighty missed calls." He was still attempting to grasp every bit of insane information I'd given him. "I'm aware. Your phones been ringing off the hook for the last hour." He handed me my cell phone.

"Why do you have my phone?" I snatched it from him seeing I had seventy missed calls and twenty six text messages from Rayner. "Red head handed it over to me when I helped her to the car and I just held on to it. I was going to answer it but I didn't want to piss anyone off." The phone rang again. "You should answer it Tori. He may have broken up with you but he doesn't even know if you're alive." I sighed deeply knowing he was right but ignored it anyway and that's when Jackson's phone rang. I knew Rayner must be desperate to call him.

"Please don't tell him where I've been." I begged knowing full and well Jackson was going to answer it. "What's up Rayner?" He sighed into the phone giving me the death glare. "Mhmm, yep she's fine. Came home around one in a cab. Yep she's right here, yeah she lost her phone she called the club we are going to pick it up in a little while. I'll tell her, yeah I will. Happy New Year brother." Jackson was incredibly good at lying. I sighed with relief. "You're lucky I fucking love you and care about your pride because you looked really pathetic last night. Please don't ever go to a party like that alone." I nodded my head so thankful he hadn't ratted me out to Rayner. "Rayner says he's sorry about blowing up your phone, and asked me to take care of you. Tori you're a mess. Are you going to tell me why he broke it off? And why you're so okay with it?" I sighed not making eye contact. I did not want to tell him.

"I'm still in shock give me two hours I'll be a bigger mess." He watched me with worried eyes waiting for me to spill. "He wants me to experience life." I shrugged holding on to the Eliza kiss because I didn't want to tarnish his reputation.

"What does that even mean?" He continued. He could read me like a book, always. "You know I know when you're not telling me something right? You're terrible at hiding your feelings." I sighed heavily I really didn't want to admit anything.

"Rayner asked me to live with him before you did and I chose to live here with you." I averted my eyes afraid to see his reaction.

"Tori had I known that I never would ha-" I cut him off before he could finish the sentence. "I know you wouldn't have and that's why I didn't tell you." I told him honestly. "You don't have to stay here for me Tori. I am a big boy I can do this you've done enough for me. I don't want to be the reas-" I cut him off a second time hating I had made him feel this way.

"Jackson I WANT to be here with you. That's why I said yes to YOU. I didn't just say yes because I feel sorry for you Jackson. I mean partially yes." He rolled his eyes at that remark. "I just didn't feel ready to take that step with him and he took my decision as he was second. That I wasn't ready to commit to him and his life. That I need to go out and explore life without him." I realized why Rayner had done this as I explained it to Jackson.

Jackson's heart seemed to swell with my confession. "Tori... I never meant to shove a wedge between you and Rayner." He looked incredibly guilty but happy nonetheless. "You didn't Jackson, okay? Anything that happened was between us and you had nothing to do with it I swear I don't blame you and neither does Rayner." His name on my lips reminded me that I might never see him again. I felt fresh hot tears drip down my cheeks. "I told you it wouldn't be long before I was in shambles." I laughed at myself for breaking down so soon. Jackson took my hand gently in his brushing his thumb over my knuckles not saying anything or looking at me.

"Now I feel really guilty telling you I'm going on a date this weekend..." I felt a strange pang of jealousy in my chest but Jackson deserved to date someone. "Don't Jack go and have fun I will be okay." He rubbed the back of his neck and I knew why he'd been so distant lately. He'd been dating.

"Jackson have you been dating? You don't have to be secretive about it. We are friends we can tell each other this kind of thing. You have to listen to Rayner drama 24/7 I haven't even asked you about your personal life. I'm so sorry." His blue eyes finally pierced my own.

"Just this girl at work. That's mostly why I wanted to work last night... I dunno she's really cool. This weekend will be the first time I see her outside of work." He looked incredibly nervous and I thought it was adorable. I wiped the last of my tears just listening. "It's Serena by the way. The little blonde that runs the front desk." I knew of her I'd seen her many times. She was gorgeous, and quiet.

"Oh yeah I know her. Ramona says she's a sweet girl. Don't you corrupt that sweet girl she's just turned 18 didn't she?" He nodded his head still obviously weirded out by this conversation. "Yeah she graduates this year she wants to go to UCLA too." I didn't blame her it was a great school. "Tell her to get her admissions in early!" I enthused trying to seem more interested despite the wound in my chest he'd just sliced a little deeper. I pushed all of that aside because it was selfish of me. Jackson deserved to be happy too.